Leidos Health Group has an opportunity for an Enterprise Architecture (EA) Tools Architect supporting the Department of Veterans Affairs’ Enterprise Architecture (EA) Services Support task order. The VA’s mission is to “to fulfill President Lincoln’s promise ‘To care for him who shall have borne the battle and for his widow and his orphan’ by serving and honoring the men and women who are America’s Veterans.” The Account Management Office (AMO) with VA’s Office of Information Technology (OIT) drive’s OIT strategy and investment selection processes with business outcomes and provides the structure and workflows required for supporting OIT functions required by law, regulation, and policy. VA’s Architecture and Engineering Service (AES) implements EA to integrate strategic drivers, business requirements, and technology solutions to meet Federal law and policy requirements for an agency-wide EA.
The candidate will work as part of the Enterprise Architecture team supporting the design, development, implementation, and use of the overall VA Enterprise Architecture (EA). The EA Tools Team works with government staff toward better data and information architecture through a data-centric enterprise architecture capability with modeling / visualization capability, Web-based applications and website hosting of EA content and products, and other information technology solutions. The EA Tools Team assesses impact of potential changes on the organization and its stakeholders.
The EA Tools Architect will be responsible for providing technical vision, direction, and guidance for the VA EA program with respect to the implementation of technology platforms needed to support the program; specific area of focus will be delivering EA support tools in a multiple virtual machine environment using approved VA Technical Resource Model technologies.
The EA Tools Architect interacts daily with the customer in identifying, documenting, and implementing technical requirements; coordinates with the EA Tools Team and other VA support teams in installation, monitoring, and maintenance of the applications and systems supporting the program; and makes recommendations on COTS product/licensing and environment purchases in support of customer requirements.
The EA Tools Architect will also serve as Unicom System Architect® System Administrator to provide support in a virtual machine (VM) environment, providing infrastructure engineering services for SA and related products (e.g., SA eXtended Team [XT], SA Publisher, SA-COGNOS, etc.). The EA Tools Architect provides application administration to include installation, configuration, account/license management, and encyclopedia/USRPROPS management.
In addition, the EA Tools Architect is responsible for the annual evaluation of the program future needs, current tools used in support of the program, and other available tools/technologies resulting in formal recommendations to the customer for potential future tool/environment changes in support of the EA.
The EA Tools Architect will work at the Veterans Affairs location in downtown DC.
- Provide technical solution oversight, often designing solutions for implementation by the team. Reviews developer solutions where appropriate and serves as technical knowledge source. Proposes new avenues of development, opportunities for innovation/enhancement and guides overall solution development as an end user advocate.
- Ensure the compliance of customer standards; also ensure that contractual deliverables assigned are reviewed for completeness and completed on time.
- Work closely with other teams, support organizations, program and product management within the VA Office of Information and Technology (OIT), Account Management Office (AMO), Architecture and Engineering Service (AES), and VA OIT Infrastructure Operations environment. Share knowledge for the benefit of the team.
- Manage the functionality and efficiency of multiple VMWare Windows 2012 Servers and Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) 6.x servers
- Install system-wide software to include Oracle database, System Architect, Microsoft Power BI, etc.
- Set up and administer service accounts, develop and maintain system documentation, and monitor and tune system performance
- Set up / administer System Architect (SA) accounts, manage SA Encyclopedias and USRPROPS files
- Validate and implement critical system patches
- Allocate, monitor, and manage mass storage space
- Support external customer (but within VA) SA accounts and general COTS maintenance requests
- Program using industry standard methods.
- Develop solutions that integrate with existing VA EA tools architecture.
- Apply expert knowledge of advanced technical principles, theories, and concepts to sustain and enhance the VA EA Toolset.
- Resolve seldom and unusual occurring job events; handle complex system administration issues, with planning at the project/product level.
- Determine methods and procedures on new assignments and provide guidance to other personnel.
- Bachelor’s degree in Systems Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Information Technology (IT) Management. 8 years of additional relevant experience may be substituted for the degree.
- 12 – 15 years’ experience
- 5 or more years’ experience of system administration of Unicom® System Architect (SA)
- Hands-on experience with EA modeling tools
- 5+ years’ of documented experience/expertise with web application development, particularly database driven, templated GUI applications. Experience with the following is desired:
- Asynchronous data call via service technology: XML / JSON / AJAX
- Template/Framework application scripting language: PHP / TCL / ASPX / ASCX / .Net
- Content Management Applications: WordPress / ECMS
- User context, state management and group management of user experience
- Possesses extensive knowledge of infrastructure, application programming and web and software applications.
- Knowledge of and experience with establishing and managing virtual machine environments
- Collaborator, self-starter, strategic providing input to technical design to meet project objectives
- Ability to work in fast paced environment and deliver results.
- Technical writing (experience in documenting technical integration documentation)
- Recent hands-on experience with Unicom System Architect (SA) eXtended Team (SA/XT)
- Experience with Release Management and change management processes.
- Experience with maintenance of service level agreements (SLAs) and coordination with remote hosting centers
- Working knowledge of Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) processes; specific knowledge and/or familiarity with project development processes/requirements
- Experience using GitHub and Jira or similar Agile tools (requirements, configuration/version control, testing, etc.)
- Section 508 compliance, implementation and testing
- Experience with Microsoft Teams
- Experience with Department of Veterans Affairs within the last two years, to include previous possession of VA PIV card and VA network access
- Experience working as a contractor for the Federal government
- U.S. Citizenship, while not required, is highly desired as it speeds up the onboarding process
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:ADP1 / IT2
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.