Innovate and create at Leidos! We have no shortage of challenging technical and research problems. Join the Leidos team and apply your talents to solve them.
The Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory is seeking a Geospatial Research Scientist to join our Team in Albany, OR. This opportunity will allow side by side execution of research with world-class scientists and engineers using state of the art equipment to contribute to new areas of basic and applied research.
The U.S. Department of Energy’s National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) is a multi-disciplinary, scientific, and technical-oriented national laboratory. NETL produces technological solutions for America’s energy challenges. From developing creative innovations and efficient energy systems that make coal more competitive, to advancing technologies that enhance oil and natural gas extraction and transmission processes, NETL research is providing breakthroughs and discoveries that support home-grown energy initiatives, stimulate a growing economy, and improve the health, safety, and security of all Americans. Highly skilled men and women at three NETL research sites – Albany, Ore., Morgantown, W.Va., and Pittsburgh, Pa. – conduct a broad range of research activities that support DOE’s mission to advance the national, economic, and energy security of the United States.
The employee will participate in studies relating to model development, workflow, and machine learning algorithm design related to geospatial energy data. Additionally, the employee will be developing, managing, and integrating a variety of experimental and spatial datasets. This work will involve a multidisciplinary team participation alongside other data scientists, engineers, geologists and computer scientists to help develop next-generation tools to understand offshore subsurface properties, hazards, oil platform infrastructure, and the priorities of the DOE Fossil Energy and Carbon Management mission space.
Location: Albany, OR
- Use Machine Learning methods to augment geospatial analysis and algorithm development
- Support geostatistical modeling and model development.
- Designing supervised and unsupervised machine learning algorithms that incorporate data from scientific research related to energy.
- Developing and managing contextual and spatial databases, and structuring/restructuring databases for a wide range of experimental and spatial datasets
- Providing support updating databases containing platform infrastructure, incidents, metocean factors, geohazard data, and well information, as well as support needs to update and query database for spatial analyses.
- Collaborate with geologists and other science researchers to assist each other in accomplishing project-related tasks.
- Builds relationships with internal and external clients.
- Creates and delivers oral and poster presentations of results.
- Master’s degree in applied computer science, machine learning, math, spatial statistics, geography, geo-statistics, geospatial science or similar field with less than 2 years of prior relevant experience
- Evidence of innovation in statistical methods and algorithm development as applied to geospatial statistical problems.
- Demonstrable skills in the application of various machine learning algorithms, as well as skills working with probability distributions and multi-variate analysis
- Understanding and experience in spatial and/or subsurface topics
- Background in geospatial statistics and applications to energy and environmental systems
- Robust coding experience including Python
- with experience using ArcGIS Server and database software management systems like Microsoft Access, SQL Server, or PostGRES
- Experience in spatial mapping and analysis
- Ph.D. in applied math, spatial statistics, geography, geo-statistics, geospatial science or similar field
- Familiarity with geologic systems and geohazards is strongly preferred
- Evidence of substantive participation in the geospatial scientific community.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.