Leidos operates FHWA’s Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), where staff develop emerging technologies to improve transportation safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. Saxton Lab provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of vehicle-to-infrastructure technologies.
Leidos is seeking a Transportation Systems Engineer to develop ConOps, requirements, use cases, and other system level specifications, and organize system level testing to verify compliance to these specifications. Systems of interest relate to the following:
• Vehicle-to-infrastructure and vehicle-to-vehicle emerging technologies
• Automated vehicles
• Traffic operations
• Intelligent transportation systems
Location: Full time at FHWA’s Turner Fairbank Highway Research Facility in McLean, VA.
The Transportation Systems Engineer will be part of a larger research team that advances connected and automated vehicle technologies for FHWA via developing, testing, and demonstrating new capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication. The Agile Systems Engineer will perform technical work and develop deliverables as needed.
Primary job functions will include:
- Works day to day with customer product owners and team members for backlog grooming
- Translates functional requirements into Agile backlog items in Jira developing personas, epics, features and stories.
- Maintains product roadmaps and release plans using Agile tools in Confluence and Jira.
- Reporting on agile events such as sprint planning and review activity.
- Managing public and private documentation stores on Confluence.
- Managing workflow and ticketing process on Jira, including maintaining automated interactions among Jira, Confluence, Github, and the Circle CI continuous integration server.
- Develop, edit or review system level test plans and detailed test cases, given requirements or enhancement descriptions.
- Contribute in occasional demonstrations, meetings, and webinars.
- Produce clear and concise written communication and deliverables.
- Participate in routine peer reviews of your work and providing critical review of others’ work products.
- Writing technical reports.
- Freedom to manage, own, and develop solutions and new support services.
- Client interaction and relationship development.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with 10+ years of experience in software and systems development projects, or a Master's degree from an accredited college or university with 8+ years of experience in software and systems development projects.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust clearance.
- Experience in Agile SDLC methodology with scrums and sprints.
- Experience managing Atlassian Jira and Confluence environment.
- Must have valid driver's license and ability to pass DMV background check.
- Must be able to demonstrate competence in using Windows for typical office applications and basic Linux command line interactions.
- Enjoys helping others, is self-motivated, takes ownership, takes initiative, and possesses a desire to learn and grow, while self-teaching with minimal guidance.
- Must have good English communication (oral and written) skills, the ability to listen and accurately identify client needs and issues.
- Must be proactive in actions and communications, and able to follow-through on commitments and deliver quality products ahead of or on schedule.
- GitHub, JIRA, Confluence especially with experience in configuring and customizing these environments
- Data management
- Cybersecurity operations
The candidate should enjoy helping others deploy technologies in real world settings and developing new solutions, tools, and opportunities to advance these support services and technology adoption. Some of the projects and technologies we develop are listed below.
• Transportation Simulation Manual
• Cooperative Automation Platform
• V2I Standards and Tools
• Connected and Automated Vehicle Modeling
• Connected and Automated Vehicle Applications
• Data Management and Cybersecurity
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.