Leidos is seeking a Lead Cyber Network Defense Malware Reverse Engineering/Technical SME to join a team supporting a government customer in a highly complex cyber security environment. The successful candidate will manage a team ranging 2-5 staff and work in a high-pressure environment, delivering outstanding results under tight deadlines and constraints.
Lead and direct enterprise cyber security reverse malware engineering function at both the technical, operational day-to-day, and incident response levels including but not limited to the following objectives and functional areas;
- Lead a small team of malware analysts responsible for enterprise wide cyber defense functions supporting both everyday defensive and offensive countermeasures
- Work collaboratively across detection, response, defensive and cyber threat intel functions to infuse malware analysis capabilities and workflows to defend the enterprise against threats
- Identification and reporting of key performance and value indicators demonstrating the operational effectiveness of the malware analysis function
- Implement semi-automated malware analysis functions to save time, increase speed and ability to scale malware analysis function in a cost and operationally efficient manner
- Publish malware threat analysis cards based on internal findings which can be laterally shared through cyber intelligence fusion channels.
- Synergize malware analysis workflows with detection and countermeasure functions to rapidly release and operationalize identified IOC, TTPs or other key attack artifacts during day to day event triage and during sentinel security incidents.
- Contribute to the content of a Threat Intelligence Platform (TIP) for collecting and inventorying malware patterns identified in the enterprise and collaborating with SIEM detection functions to ensure malware TIP patterns are present in detect correlation alerting and threat hunting
- Maintaining proficiency in operation tools, creating countermeasures, and identifying trends in adversary behaviors and vulnerabilities
- Maintain and evolve a malware reverse engineering lab
- Team with threat hunters to improve accuracy and effectiveness of malware specific hunt operations
- Collaborate with security architecture and engineering to implement and optimize malware detection, collection and reverse engineering capabilities
- Design and implement innovative malware analysis approaches and tactics
- Serve as an integral member and technical malware advisor to the Incident Response team
- Oversee the operations and management of design, test, implement, deploy, maintain, and administer the infrastructure systems supporting malware analysis functions, integrations and capabilities
- Model offensive malware attack patterns in the design and testing of security stack technology
- Previous experience leading and managing a team of 5 staff engaged in malware analysis and other offensive technical testing
- Experience managing and operating a malware reverse engineering program in a large enterprise
- Technical experience conducting hands-on forensic, memory, disk and event log forensics; both static and dynamic
- Served as the technical (SME) in leading a team of staff in the design, implementation, integration and operational support of a malware analysis program
- Past hands-on experience with the utilization, configuration, and implementation of industry-standard malware analysis including but not limited to static and dynamic tools
- Previous experience training and mentoring junior malware analyts
- Demonstrated understanding of the life cycle of network threats, attacks, attack vectors and methods of exploitation with an understanding of intrusion set tactics, techniques and procedures (TTPs)
- Previous technical experience performing offensive / PENTEST work
- directs multiple contractor and subcontractors teams through to project completion
- BA/BS or equivalent experience and 12+ years of prior relevant experience
- Hands-on experience conducting complex analysis of forensic, event and signature data as well as binary, mobile, and executable code leading to the detection of a variety malware families and strains and/or evidence of advanced persistent threats.
- Experience optimizing malware analysis automation functions to increase a single malware analysis throughput at scale, amplify workforce capabilities, save time, reduce dwell time, and speed IOC & TTP publishing to enable rapid IC threat intelligence sharing and countermeasure
- Experience developing and running functional exploits, the creation of custom shellcode, or other code functions to bypass typical security measures.
- TS/SCI clearance and polygraph is required to be considered.
- US Citizenship is required due to the nature of the government contracts we support
- DoD 8570 compliance or information assurance certification commensurate with technical objectives and services required within the task order. Applicable software or hardware training and certifications commensurate with the technical objectives, services required, and IT environment specified within the task order
- DoD 8570 certified IAM (Management) and/or IAT (Technical) Level II or III certification or equivalent qualifying certification waiver.
- OSCP, CEH, GCFA, GREM
- 5 years experience performing hands-on reverse malware engineering tradecraft in a large, complex enterprise spanning network, endpoints and cloud environments
- Experience exercising offensive security tradecraft circumventing enterprise security layers and controls to model or test published exploits, zero days or malware strains
- Experience managing and/or implementing and supporting malware analysis workflows operationally integrated to detection, incident response, countermeasure and threat intelligence SOC operations
- Experience performing incident response and post-mortem attack analysis
- Scripting and/or programming certifications and demonstrable hands-on experience
- Programming experience in one or several languages; C+, C#, Python, Perl, Ruby, .NET, PowerShell
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:5000
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret/SCI with Polygraph
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Cyber Security Research and Development
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.