Leidos is seeking a Heterogeneous Catalysis Scientist for our NETL Morgantown, WV site. The successful candidate will be a post-doctoral or early-career researcher with experience in heterogeneous catalysis with expertise in mixed metal oxide chemistry – particularly in the specialized research and development of these materials for hydrocarbon conversion reactions. Expertise is also desired in the areas of materials synthesis, characterization (e.g. XRD, XPS, SEM, TEM, FTIR, etc.), as well as testing and data analyses. The candidate must possess knowledge and practical experience with state-of-the-art mixed metal oxide catalyst fabrication, characterization, and reaction engineering. Knowledge and hands-on experience is required in the understanding of the structure and behavior of these materials in different gaseous and reaction environments. Experience in areas of slurry chemistry and coatings would also be desired, but not a pre-requisite for the position. The selected candidate will research closely with the team as well as other researchers at NETL for the development of mixed metal oxide catalysts for the conversion of different hydrocarbon fuels into products (e.g. syngas).
Location: Morgantown, WV
- Catalyst synthesis using various techniques (e.g., Pechini, insipient wetness) and materials.
- Generating test plans for catalyst tests and working closely with lab operators.
- Data analyses and characterization utilizing XRD, XPS, microscopy, FTIR, BET, and others.
- Presenting ideas and results to the research team.
- Contributing to future research planning and assisting with proposals.
- Working independently and collaboratively with members of the research team to meet milestones and deliverables.
- Assisting or leading efforts in writing research papers and creating conference presentations.
- PhD in engineering, chemistry or physics from an accredited university with 2+ years of experience in applied laboratory operations and analyses in a structured laboratory environment.
- Must possess extensive knowledge of the fundamental principles, theories, practices, and established methodology of engineering, chemistry, physics and mathematics.
- Must possess knowledge of and practical experience with catalyst development with a preferred background in coal/biomass processes to value added products.
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident
- The qualifications mentioned above plus hands-on experience is required in materials design, synthesis, and characterization for hydrocarbon conversion reactions or related applications.
- The preference is a candidate that has onsite national laboratory experience and familiarization with the specific safety procedures and processes that must be followed.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:$2000
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.