The Intelligence Group at Leidos currently has an opening for a Senior Network Engineer with Telephony Design and Administration experience to work at our Annapolis Junction, MD location. This is an exciting opportunity to use your experience supporting an important, fast-paced, mission critical program.
A Senior Network Engineer who is well versed in Telephony Design and Administration is needed to support multiple geographically distributed systems in a complex network environment. She/he will support system engineering requests to meet operational needs and will be responsible for engineering, deploying, and maintaining capabilities that are new to the environment and will develop plans, manage equipment, monitor tasking through to completion, and provide status to senior program leadership. In addition, the candidate will be involved in the management of strategies to define, deploy, and maintain the organization’s internal IP telephony and its related network connections along with hardware operation. She/he will work closely with internal leads and technical POCs in assessing the impact of system changes to the team and to the infrastructure.
The selected candidate will be responsible for server/router/firewall configuration and the security management of an environment that includes networking equipment from several different manufacturers, as well as Windows/Linux servers, databases virtualization clusters and security hardware & software. The network includes local and geographically dispersed LAN enclaves connected by WAN links. Along with the IT team, the selected individual will build, maintain, troubleshoot, and develop enhancements for a large, complex set of geographically disperse IT systems. She/he will ensure that resources (hardware and/or software) are in place to enable the team to monitor and manage the IT system infrastructure and all processes and components related to these systems. On a day-to-day basis, she/he will engineer solutions for expanding capacity, improving response time, and streamlining network operations throughout the internal and operational systems. She/he will monitor mission critical networks and servers and provide support to end-users and manage the internal triage to determine what support is needed. The selected candidate will be part of the Network Team that also manages server/router/firewall configurations, security management, and application performance optimization functions across internal and customer systems.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Developing network security requirements and policy and translating requirements into specific device configurations.
- Providing network administration support for development, deployment, and problem identification and remediation of the enterprise network environment.
- Providing enterprise LAN support and working closely with the IT service provider teams to ensure customer requirements are considered and supported by the evolving LAN/WAN architecture.
- Providing enterprise telephony and Unified Communications Systems (UCS) support.
- Providing in-depth analysis on existing network and server configurations and developing plans for system enhancements.
- Examining system data and implementing enhancements to improve reliability and performance.
- Planning and implementing IT enhancements and undertaking project work, to include configuring servers, clients, storage devices, and network components.
- Planning and managing system installs and upgrades for networks and servers (hardware and software).
- Providing detailed analysis and troubleshooting guidance for real-time system crisis.
- Supporting system engineering requests to meet operational needs.
- Proposing, designing, testing, and installing capabilities that are new to the environment.
- Managing schedules and timing of team tasking.
- Developing detailed plans and validating all parts needed to support the plans.
- Providing written and in-person status reports to senior leadership.
- Overseeing the development and maintenance of technical data such as rack elevations, installation instructions, and other as built designs.
- Contributing to the development and quality assurance of relevant CDRLs when necessary.
- Contributing to and participating in program System Engineering and Configuration Management Boards and processes when required.
- Providing technical assistance to companion work groups in support of overlapping projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical field and at least 12 years of prior relevant experience or Master’s degree and 10 years of prior relevant experience. Additional experience may be substituted for a Degree.
- Must have in-depth experience with enterprise telephony systems.
- Must have in-depth experience with enterprise Unified Communications platforms.
- Must have experience with Linux and Windows desktop and server operating systems.
- Must have experience with enterprise networking equipment from different manufacturers, to include working with Switches, Routers, Firewalls, LAN and WAN technologies.
- Must have experience identifying and correcting WAN hardware, software, and circuit problems.
- Must have experience identifying and correcting hardware and software issues on servers, clients, and networks.
- Must possess strong analytic abilities and must be meticulous and careful in their work.
- Must have experience providing direct assistance to end users.
- Must possess excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Must be committed to adopting and adhering to best practices including compliance with maintenance windows and change control procedures.
- Must be an independent thinker capable of working proficiently independently as well as within a team.
- Must be a self-starter with strong collaboration skills.
- Must be able to support planned, after hours activities on occasion and may be responsible for providing after-hours support for network administration, operations, and maintenance problems on occasion.
- Some travel may be required.
- Experience documenting and providing information for security accreditation and certification.
- Experience with Data Center design and configuration (e.g. rack and stack, power, placement, etc.).
- Thorough understanding of standards-based engineering drawing packages.
- Thorough knowledge of networking essentials in a professional office atmosphere.
- Experience in a System Administration role supporting a software configuration management and development environment.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:5000
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret/SCI with Polygraph
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Network Administration and Ops
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.