Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
The Leidos Surface Transportation Portfolio is seeking a Roadway Departure (RwD) Safety Engineer to provide support for contracts with the U.S. Department of Transportation (U.S. DOT), State Departments of Transportation (DOTs). The Engineer will support work in the ground transportation areas of roadway departure safety; State and local transportation agency traffic safety; strategic highway safety planning; policy, standards, and specification development, and traffic safety and operational studies. The candidate will be responsible for managing individual projects, as well as potentially a suite or program of projects relating to the subject areas listed above. Most work involves local, state, regional and/or national government initiatives that aim to identify infrastructure improvements and provide input to policy, standards, and practices that influence fatal and serious injury crash reductions.
Location: Telework from outside of the Washington, DC metro area is acceptable, though a local presence is preferred. This full-time position may require some travel to project sites (within the U.S.).
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Specific duties include, but are not limited to:
- Project management
- Data collection, assimilation, and analysis (in-field or in-lab)
- Report preparation and technical writing
- Managing and/or collaborating with other technical personnel in a multi-disciplined environment
- Performing thorough literature reviews and summarizing technical information
- Communicating technical information to audiences with diverse backgrounds
- Bachelor degree is required; Master’s degree is preferred. Emphasis should be in Civil (Transportation) Engineering
- Must have 7+ years transportation engineering experience in a similar transportation consulting or practitioner environment. Candidates with differing amounts of experience should still apply and will be considered
- Must have project management experience
- Ability to lead teams and be a team player
- Ability to critically think through and accomplish complex tasks
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Fluency with Microsoft Office tools and programs
Desired Skills, Traits & Experience:
- Practical, hands-on experience with subjects listed above, such as working directly with or at transportation agencies
- Involvement in national level research organizations
- Strong communication skillset, including:
- Technical writing and peer editing,
- Public speaking,
- Managing client relations
- Demonstrated experience in engaging a variety of industry, government, research, consulting, and other professionals to achieve a common goal
- Ability to perform well under the pressure of multiple competing deadlines
- Highly proactive, self-motivated, and has sharp self-time management
- Ability to think analytically and apply general concepts to other applicable topics
- Ability to flourish within a dynamic, fun team environment as well as work independently
- Seeks constant improvement through self-identified opportunities and peer feedback
- Enjoys challenges associated with learning new topics
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and strong ability to multi-task
- Ability to identify and implement creative solutions
- Flexible and comfortable with changing direction and competing priorities
- Business growth mindset
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:$2000
Potential for Telework:Yes, 100%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Civil Engineering
Pay Range:Pay Range $71,500.00 - $110,000.00 - $148,500.00
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.