Leidos is hiring a Boat Coxswain and Maintenance Technician to join our team in San Diego, supporting a Navy customer. Primary duties are maintaining and operating a customer-owned 11m RHIB on frequent local operations, offshore of San Diego. Collateral duties include working with the project engineering team on rigging and general sea-testing, gear maintenance, and general fabrication of project systems.
- Ensure safety equipment is current, operational as expected, onboard and appropriate for given operation.
- Know and understand all boat systems and operate them appropriately for the given conditions.
- Responsible for operation, safety of crew, boat and equipment during operations.
- Operate boat in a safe manner given weather, sea conditions, crew size or equipment on board exceed safe parameters.
- Determine when weather, sea conditions, crew size or equipment onboard exceed safe parameters.
- Make call to cancel or modify operations to maintain safety.
- Be familiar with the operating parameters of projects supported and be able to anticipate boat moves and expectations.
- Work with project(s) leads to develop and maintain boat schedule and publish schedule.
- Ensure periodic boat and trailer maintenance is performed on schedule and by qualified personnel.
- Ensure repairs are performed in accordance with OEM specifications.
- Must hold current active SECRET clearance.
- Must hold or be able to attain NIWC small boat coxswain certificate.
- Must be skilled at operating boats with single and multiple engines, jet drives preferred.
- Must be capable of and experienced operating in off shore conditions, as well as calm waters.
- Must know waterway navigation rules and etiquette.
- Must be capable and willing to operate in fog, at night, and in rough seas as necessary within reasonable safety limits.
- Must have experience in regular boat maintenance and preventative maintenance coordination.
- Requires high school diploma or equivalent and 5+ years of prior relevant experience.
- Must possess demeanor to allow success in operating with dynamically changing schedules, sea conditions, onboard personnel and equipment.
- Must be capable, competent and confident in ability to operate in dynamic conditions, while maintaining a safe environment.
- Needs to be intimately attuned to the operating condition of the boat, able to recognize slight changes in sounds and performance characteristics that could be a warning to changes or potential failure. Must act on these warnings and determine appropriate action.
- Be willing to call for help, when needed.
Work hours must coincide with work being performed, typically 0715-1645, with some flexibility allowable.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Field Services
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.