Leidos is seeking a Materials Research Engineer for our NETL Morgantown, WV Site. The successful candidate will be a post-doctoral or early-career researcher for professional support with a focus on investigating catalysts to provide economical and clean coal (or coal/biomass) derived value-added fuels. The candidate should possess knowledge of and practical experience with state-of-the-art design and characterization for conventional and non-conventional (including microwave based) catalytic reactions. Experience in materials design, synthesis, and pre- and post-run characterization of catalysts is desired.
Location: Morgantown, WV
- Utilize expertise in catalysis and characterization to generate and conduct experimental test plans, data analyses, and design and diagnostics of reactor systems.
- Utilize knowledge of and experience with characterization for electromagnetic/microwave-assisted catalytic reactions.
- Use knowledge of surface physics and electromagnetic interactions with materials to design an efficient microwave reactor system for chemical reactions.
- Conduct data analyses and characterization utilizing XRD, XPS, microscopy, FTIR, BET, and others.
- Focus on investigating novel methods for design and testing of catalyst materials including but not limited to microwave-based reactor systems.
- Collect, analyze, and report experimental data from experiments
- Present ideas and results to the research team.
- Contribute to future research planning and assisting with proposals.
- Work independently and collaboratively with members of the research team to meet milestones and deliverables.
- Assist or lead efforts in writing research papers and creating conference presentations.
- This position requires at least a PhD in engineering, chemistry or physics from an accredited university with 0-2 years of experience in applied laboratory operations and analyses in a structured laboratory environment.
- The candidate must possess extensive knowledge of the fundamental principles, theories, practices, and established methodology of engineering, chemistry, physics and mathematics. The candidate must possess knowledge of and practical experience with catalyst development with a preferred background in coal/biomass processes to value added products.
- The candidate should have previous work history in conducting research and development in a structured laboratory environment using high-temperature/pressurized systems and handling a variety of chemicals.
- The ideal candidate will have experience and/or familiarity with conducting research in a US Government National Laboratory setting where conducting safe operations is paramount. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated ability to author publications and to present results related to their research work.
- Familiarity with HSC Chemistry or similar and statistical software like SAS or similar is preferred.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:2000
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.