Do you love lasers? If so we just might have the job for you!
You are an Ultrashort Pulse Laser System Engineer who likes to spend the majority of your time operating, maintaining, and improving Ultrashort Pulse Laser (USPL) systems. You also enjoy working with control software development, new system design and engineering, SWaP and shock and vibe improvement considerations, and troubleshooting complex optical and system problems. This career will have you working at Kirtland AFB supporting Leidos and our customer critical missions.
Fun stuff you will do on the job:
• Support complex custom-built multi-stage Ti:Sapphire laser system operations via routine and emergency maintenance. Perform alignment, optimization, and operation of Ti:Sapphire oscillator, regenerative amplifier, OPA, and bowtie amplifiers. Repair and service high energy nano-second YAG pump lasers.
• Develop monitoring diagnostics, control software, and maintenance procedures for multiple one-of-a-kind laser systems. Developed diagnostics will enhance laser system alignment, pulse measurements, and beam quality of laser systems.
• Perform optical test functions including power, spatial, spectral and temporal characterization of optical beams.
• Assist with laboratory equipment maintenance and organization
• Assist with installation of new hardware and fixtures to expand laboratory capabilities and capacity.
• Define and implement test and evaluation strategies for new equipment and hardware.
• Provide regular progress reports and maintain timelines for multiple projects to multi-disciplinary teams of physicists and engineers
• Guide and train team members on newly developed processes and optical measurement techniques.
• Demonstrate ability to adapt and learn evolving USPL technology.
This is you:
• Possess a Bachelor's Degree in Science / Engineering Discipline with 2 years of experience or masters degree
• 2+ years of Ti:Sapphire laser system experience, including laser system alignment, diagnostics, design, and maintenance.
• Have the ability to acquire and maintain a DoD secret clearance.
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
• 10+ years experience operating and troubleshooting USPL systems.
• Troubleshooting and resolving optical and electronics related system issues.
• Experience operating and troubleshooting Joule-class Nd:YAG nanosecond lasers.
• Experience with optical and electronic synchronization techniques.
• Experience with OPA systems.
• Optomechanical modelling experience and knowledge of materials.
• Proficiency in LabVIEW, CAD, and/or Zemax.
• Strong innovation, analytical and diagnostic skills.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:$5000.00
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Optical Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.