Leidos is seeking an experienced, highly motivated Operations, System, and Software Engineer to join the Engineering, Implementation, Science, Operations, and Communications (EISOC) program to support the NASA/Jet Propulsion Laboratory team in Pasadena, CA on groundbreaking space missions. Jet Propulsion Laboratory uses EISOC to develop new space systems and flight software, and provide engineering, training, and operations support. The selected candidate for this position will assist Mars Science Laboratory in scheduling communications activities with Mars orbiters and the Deep Space Network. Effective telecom scheduling is essential to optimizing the science return of the mission.
The job will require a combination of telecommunications planning operations work as well as software development to support said operations. As Mars Science Laboratory Communications Planner, you will focus on coordinating the schedule for which Mars orbital overflights and Deep Space Network windows the Curiosity rover will use for uplink and downlink communications.
Job responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Performing the Mars Science Laboratory tactical communications process and delivering the resulting spacecraft sequences. The generation of data volume predicts using orbiter SPK files and SPS files.
- Essential knowledge includes how to translate that into data volume estimates and protocols to follow for work with other missions when there are strict operational constraints.
- Diagnose and engage support when issues arise in connecting to non-MSL interfaces. To support streamlining the operations process the ideal candidate will also possess the software skills necessary to assist in the operations work.
Education and Work Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, OR Aerospace Engineering with a minimum of 8 years’ experience, OR a Master’s degree in similar disciplines with 6+ years of related experience, OR PhD with 2+ years of related experience.
- This position requires a U.S. Citizen who is eligible to obtain any required Export Authorization.
- The work will be performed in Pasadena CA.
- 5+ years of software development in Python and full stack web development.
- Software development will include full stack web development including python and Django expertise for back-end and JS/CSS/HTML for frontend.
- 2+ years of experience working with multiple NASA missions and the Deep Space Network and deep understanding of their process and terminology.
- Working experience with Linux operating system environments.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and ability to work in a team environment.
- Experience troubleshooting cross mission software interfaces.
- Highly responsive work ethic.
- Deep understanding of multiple JPL proprietary software systems and interfaces for tracking orbital details and DSN availability.
- 2+ years of experience with Mars surface mission operations. A focus on strategic telecom work is highly desired.
- General understanding and application of standard principles, theories, concepts and techniques in software engineering field and knowledge of the software lifecycle.
- GUI web development experience to build charting and reporting capabilities.
- Comprehensive understanding of NAIF spice kernels to track spacecraft positioning is highly desired.
- Experience developing/testing software tools and applications.
- Experience working with instrument and/or spacecraft operations teams.
- General knowledge of instrument and spacecraft operations or ground data system operations.
- General knowledge of applicable Laboratory policies and procedures, NASA policies and procedures, and government regulations.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.