Are you ready to join Leidos all-star team? Through training, teamwork, and exposure to challenging technical work, let Leidos show how to accelerate your career path.
We are looking for a Senior Scientist and Principal Investigator with a proven track record in developing state-of-the-art solutions in the field of neuro-cognitive science and leading teams of researchers, engineers, and analysts in adapting and extending these approaches in fundamental and applied research settings to work in our Arlington, VA office. The senior scientist will join a team of peer scientists and engineers in designing and developing advanced technology-based solutions for contract research and development projects, and while also supporting opportunities to apply these solutions to the design and deployment of mission-focused systems.
The innovative technical solutions will advance the state of the art while addressing long-term problems of importance to national security. As such, candidates should have successful, proven, and demonstrable experience leading cross-discipline teams in the development and integration of software-based solutions for competitive, contract-based applied research programs for customers such as DARPA and IARPA. Candidates will also have demonstrated experience as a domain expert, cultivating and maintaining partner relationships with customers (such in the U.S. government) as a researcher/lecturer on the application of science and technology in human behavior and computational methods to analytic tradecraft.
Fun activities you will do on the job:
• Develop topics for creative and innovative R&D approaches to solving major machine-learning or artificial challenges and work with potential sponsors (customers or internal champions) to secure funding for new research efforts based on those topics.
• Lead teams of fellow researchers, data scientists, data engineers, and software engineers to execute complex R&D projects through the various stages of a program: design, development and integration, and evaluation.
• Design and implement innovative and novel solutions that address the technical challenges as specified by customers.
• Independently design and undertake new research as well as partner in a team environment across organizations internally.
This is you:
• Secret security clearance.
• Master's degree in engineering, computer science, data science, or a related discipline, such as statistics or applied mathematics with at least 15 years of relevant experience. With a PhD, at least 13 years of specialized experience.
• Proven experience in leading the development of novel and compelling technical approaches, and leading business development with Government S&T leads.
• Proven experience in forming teams of composed of industry, small businesses, and academic-based partners for contract R&D programs.
• Proven experience directing teams of research scientists and engineers with potentially diverse technical backgrounds (e.g., machine learning, human social/behavioral scientists, data scientists, software engineering, and embedded systems) in the design of sub-components, the integration of the components into a prototype-level system, and testing and research validation methodologies and techniques.
• Experience contributing to the managing business aspects of contract management and project execution.
• Significant experience working with members of the DoD or Intelligence Community on the transition of applied R&D projects into advanced prototypes or full operational transition.
• Track record of relevant publications in peer-reviewed conferences and journals.
• Experience developing and guiding the integration of solutions that combine state-of-the-art methods and approaches in human behavior, cognitive-neuro, and applied social science with the creativity and intelligence to advance beyond in one or more subfields of ML or AI: Computer Vision; Pattern Recognition; Predictive Modeling and Decision Support.
• Leadership abilities necessary to lead projects that include strong communication skills needed to present research plans, progress, and results to customers and internal decision-makers alike.
You will wow us even more if you have these skills:
• Top Secret clearance with the ability to obtain SCI access
• PhD dissertation in cognitive psychology or behavioral science with publication track record
• Prior experience as a large research collaboration principal investigator
• Prior experience working with All-Source Intelligence Analysts to design mission-focused solutions.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 32,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:$5000.00
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.