Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
Leidos is seeking a Freight and Transit Engineer/Project Manager to join our team at the Saxton Transportation and Operations Laboratory (STOL or Saxton Lab), in McLean, VA. The Saxton Lab supports the USDOT and Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) with a range of transportation operations R&D programs. A large focus of this research is on Connected and Automated Vehicle (CAV) technology. We lead a number of R&D projects building open source software for new connected and cooperative features between CAVs, infrastructure, and other roadway users - in support of Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO) goals to improve system efficiency and safety. Our lab is a large interdisciplinary team of engineering, software, and outreach professionals working together to develop these technologies and to promote and support industry adoption.
Successful candidates will have experience in an engineering field related to transportation and strong knowledge of CAVs, Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), Vehicle-to-Everything (V2X) technology, freight operations including port operations, fleet management, and transit management. Some familiarity with software development is preferred, and the role with coordinate closely with our software development team.
This position is an opportunity to lead CAV R&D projects related to freight, within our larger program, as a project manager. We are looking for a motivated professional with a background in transportation engineering and project management who will lead projects developing CAV use cases related to freight (commercial vehicles) operations, port operations, as well as other multimodal commercial and passenger vehicle use cases – such as transit - as the program grows.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
This role will work with our engineering, software, and outreach staff as well as USDOT clients to deliver products such as Concepts of Operations, Proof-of-Concept test plans, verified and validated software, live demonstrations, technical reports, and outreach materials and events.
Location: This position will be full-time at FHWA’s Turner Fairbank Highway Research Center in McLean, Virginia.
This position provides diverse job functions, and may include, but not limited to:
- Project management, including activities such as: leading client meetings and communications, project staff management, deliverable tracking, status reporting, quality assurance, overall strategy and direction.
- Lead technical and outreach product development, including products such as: Concepts of Operations, Proof-of-Concept test plans, verified and validated software, live demonstrations, technical reports, and outreach materials and events.
- Lead BD and capture teams to identify, qualify, and pursue opportunities, and develop winning proposal materials.
- Build consensus and maintain support among engineers, clients, and industry on abstract and technical concepts.
- Assist in the development of the integration capabilities across multiple task orders within the program.
- Author white papers, proposals, and briefings demonstrating technical thought leadership in response to Leidos leadership or customer needs.
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelor degree in relevant technical fields such as mechanical engineering, civil engineering, transportation engineering, or systems engineering with 5+ years of prior relevant experience.
- Experience in the following areas: Connected and Automated Vehicles (CAV), Vehicle-to-Everything technology (V2X), Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS), Transportation Systems Management and Operations (TSMO), freight operations, port operations, fleet management, transit management.
- Experience in project management.
- Strong communication and writing skills.
- Experience leading the development of solutions for proposals.
- Experience in writing for white papers, RFI responses, and proposals.
- Experience working closely with clients.
- Ability to obtain and maintain a public trust security clearance.
- Must have valid driver’s license and ability to pass DMV background check.
- Self-motivated and focused on delivering outcomes.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced highly collaborative environment.
- Self-starter who can work in uncharted and not yet well defined research areas – must be able to coordinate with staff and clients to advance emerging ideas from high-level concepts to defined work products.
- Direct experience supporting USDOT or State DOTs, especially experience working the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA) and Maritime Administration (MARAD).
- Experience working with software development teams.
- Experience developing cost models, basis of estimates (BOEs), and Bill of Materials (BOM).
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:$2000
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Civil Engineering
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.