No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment & flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
• Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
• Professional Engineer License (PE)
• Project Management Professional (PMP)
• Technical & non-technical training opportunities
• Leadership Opportunities
• Mentorship & Training Opportunities
• Opportunity to Lead, Grow, and Inspire a Dynamic Team
In this role, you can also expect to gain
• NESC expertise
• Interface with local clients
• Electrical Power Calculations
Currently, we have an opportunity for a Distribution Engineering Manager for electric utility design engineering.
The successful candidate will have an interest in developing construction work packages for the electric & gas distribution system using various software systems and construction standards. Distribution systems may be in an OH, UG, or URD environment. Project work may include joint use make ready, and street light projects. Work packages will be developed using Geographic Information Systems (GIS), Computer Aided Design (CAD) tools, Work Management Systems (WMS), and other client systems.
Project work will require performing engineering calculations that may include: structural analysis of poles, guying, cable pulling, electric demand, fault currents, and coordination of protective devices. Assignments may also include: preparing forestry trimming requests, facilitating permit and Right-of-Way acquisition, development of a BOM, estimating costs, and customer advocacy such as acquiring easements or calculating a customer Contribution in Aid of Construction (CIAC). Work assignments will include travelling by motor vehicle to various project locations located throughout the area to conduct field investigations.
Background must haves
Bachelors of Science in Engineering degree (EE preferred) is required and 8-12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters degree with 6 years: relevant experience is either working directly with an electric utility or an electric utility consulting company, performing design engineering
- Fundamentals of Engineer certification or Professional Engineer
- Experience with the National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and client construction standards
- Experience with Business Development, developing proposals, pricing & client interviews
- Experience using CAD tools
- Experience with software such as: PoleForeman, Bentley OpenUtilities Designer, GE Smallworld, Maximo or similar products
- Experience with complex projects in distribution design: using medium voltage switchgear, voltage conversion projects, distribution automation projects
- Experience with development of civil & electrical packages associated with complex cable/conduit in dense urban environments
- Successful project management experience (initiate, plan, execute, monitor & control, closeout)
- Experience as a first line supervisor
- Must be comfortable in both a field and office setting
- Must be able to swing a 3 lb. hammer to stake poles
- Must be able to walk up to 2 miles on unpaved surfaces
- Candidate must provide their own reliable transportation
- (Local customer/job related travel is anticipated and will be reimbursed at IRS approved rates)
Nice to haves
- Experience with designing secondary networks
- PMP certification
- Strong communication skills, written and interpersonal communications skills
- Collaborative and inclusive of individuals of diverse backgrounds and geographic locations
- Positive attitude
- Ability to work with limited supervision and providing leadership to other team members
- Ability to work effectively in teams.
- Professional dress and demeanor
10%-30% Working with Leidos team to improve process, training & mentoring staff
20%-20% Engineering, development, and quality control of design packages for construction crews
50%-70% Performing supervisory, business development, planning, managing profit/loss, and/or customer relationship
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.