The ERAM program within the Civil group at Leidos is seeking a Software Development Engineer who will be a member of a dynamic team working on the Federal Aviation Administration's En-Route Automation Modernization (ERAM) technology. ERAM is the heart of the Next Generation Air Transportation System and the pulse of the National Airspace System advancing our transition from a ground-based system of air traffic control to a satellite-based system of air traffic management.
ERAM is vital to the future of air navigation, providing the foundational platform required for FAA to enable NextGen solutions, via modernization programs such as System Wide Information Management, Data Communications, and Automatic Dependent Surveillance- Broadcast.
ERAM will provide benefits for users and the flying public by increasing air traffic flow.
Software Development Engineer Responsibilities as a team and individually:
• Modernizing the AT control system by improving the availability and performance of the ERAM system.
• Supporting ERAM as it continues to migrate ERAM from the AIX operating systems to Linux. Detailed knowledge of Linux OS and OS concepts desirable.
• Optimizing the experience for the flying public, Air Traffic Control, and the airline industry by improving the collaboration and decision-making capabilities of flight controllers
• Developing and maintaining the FAA air traffic control software (primarily Ada95/C++) on a UNIX/Linux platform.
• Maintain support functions utilizing PERL and/or PYTHON.
• Performing software development as needed for the ERAM system
• Coordinate Solutions with Systems Engineering
• Coordinate the development of new capabilities and upgrade to common services provided to the applications via the FlightDeck API
• Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable C++ code using good OOP/OOAD techniques for our systems.
• Optimize, identify bottlenecks, bugs, and devise solutions to problems including:
• Maintain code quality, revision control and organization
• Analyze customer issues, as well as both identify and implement solutions.
• Participate and contribute within a defined software development process.
As a Software Development Engineer, on our diverse and collaborative team, you will work alongside our expert Scientists and Engineers, contributing to cutting- edge technology with global impact on security detection. This is not your run-of-the-mill software development – you will be honing your engineering skills with embedded products, real-time programming, and object-oriented design, all with the support of a management team focused on your professional growth and advancement.
The Software Development Engineer uses knowledge and experience with Object-Oriented C++ development to perform job functions. Individual will be responsible for developing applications for our distributed turn-key systems. Working under general supervision in a small team environment, your primary responsibility will be to modify, develop, and troubleshoot multi-tiered distributed applications and systems. The duties and responsibilities may change from time to time without notice and include but are not limited to the duties described below.
• Requires Bachelors of Science degree and 4+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with less than 2+ years of prior relevant experience.
• Strong Understanding C++ and OOP/OOAD
• Strong understanding of data structures, algorithms, and software design solutions.
• Strong understanding of memory management, multicore processors, and distributed systems design.
• Trouble shooting support - effectively respond to users requests
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, analytical, and written skills
• Self-Starter and ability to multitask
• Working knowledge of UIL and Motif, GUI development, etc. (Highly Desirable)
• Linux Platform development knowledge
• Interfacing with hardware and real-time debugging.
• Good working knowledge of SQL
• Working knowledge of Cybersecurity
• Working knowledge of networking solutions.
• Graphics Design, GUI development, X11/Motif, etc. (Highly Desirable)
• Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills
• Working knowledge of software configuration tools and processes used in support of the FAA ERAM program
• Working experience in FAA ATC programs
• Advanced degree, preferred
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:Yes, 100%
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Development
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.