Leidos is seeking a Network Engineer to serve as a member of the Network Operations team responsible for ensuring the continued operation and improvement of the United States Antarctic Program’s (USAP) network infrastructure, which spans three continents.
*** Deployment to Antarctica may be required at the discretion of management (approximately 6 to 8 weeks/year). The individual in the position must successfully complete the physical and dental examinations as required by the NSF for deploying to Antarctica. Failure to meet these requirements may result in withdrawal of employment offer or other employment action. ***
The Network Engineer is responsible for operating, maintaining, and improving Network Management Systems, which provide insight into the health and status of the USAP network. Additional responsibilities include supporting the operation and maintenance of the USAP enterprise network and providing tier-2 support to remote-site personnel for both network operations and network management systems. Network Management Systems include: Cisco Infrastructure Prime, Riverbed SteelCentral NetExpress, NetBrain, RANCID, Zabbix, and other custom applications.
The Network Engineer maintains technical expertise in all areas of network and computer hardware and software interconnection and interfacing such as routers, switches, firewalls, WAN optimizers, VoIP systems, and physical cabling infrastructure. Specific duties include:
- Act as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for all enterprise network management systems.
- Ensure all network management systems function as intended.
- Ensure proper backups of configurations for all network devices.
- Perform or support audits of network systems to ensure compliance with enterprise standards.
- Create and maintain effective documentation associated with all job functions.
- Isolate faults and diagnose system failures to resolve problems in a methodical, thorough, and timely manner.
- Utilize change control procedures when making any network changes.
- May deploy to Antarctica (typically between 6 to 8 weeks in a year) to assist with installations, problem solving, or information gathering.
- Rotate 24x7 on-call support phone with other team members as required.
- Provide technical expertise to other teams as required.
- Excellent communication ability and the ability to work well with others in a diplomatic fashion is an essential skill.
- Perform other duties as needed or assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree and 2 years experience or Masters with less than 2 years of experience; additional years of experience will be considered in lieu of degree.
- Basic understanding of network concepts and technologies, including routing and switching
- Familiarity with Network Management Systems in general
- Familiarity with SNMPv3
- Familiarity with Python programming
- Familiarity with Red Hat Linux system administration
- Effectively able to convey thoughts and ideas using both written and verbal formats
The Network Engineer shall obtain a Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician (CCENT) certification (or equivalent) within six months of hire and a Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA) certification (or equivalent) within 12 months of hire.
- Cisco Certified Network Administrator (CCNA) or greater certification
- Experience with Cisco Infrastructure Prime
- Experience with Riverbed SteelCentral NetExpress
- Experience with NetBrain
- Experience with Zabbix
- Experience with the unique requirements of operating in Antarctica
Due to contract requirements, U.S. Citizenship or U.S. Permanent Resident status is required.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Network Administration and Ops
Pay Range:Pay Range $54,600.00 - $84,000.00 - $113,400.00
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company’s 40,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.