The NISC IV program at Leidos is seeking a National Airspace System (NAS) Documentation Specialist to work in the Federal Aviation Administration Western Service Center in Des Moines, WA.
The candidate will use a background as an Air Traffic Controller to provide documentation support to the FAA Flight Procedures Team for the preparation and execution of Instrument Flight Procedure (IFP) projects required for the modernization of the National Airspace System (NAS). This support will include the Very High Frequency Omni-directional Range (VOR) Minimum Operational Network (MON) which includes the design and/or evaluation of operational procedures that improve utilization of existing airspace and airport capacity. Additionally, the candidate will support opportunities to de-conflict traffic to and from close-in airports; improve traffic flow and reduce congestion in major metropolitan areas across; and, promote transition of the NAS to a more PBN system.
Routine Duties Will Include:
Using skills obtained as a Certified Professional Controller (CPC), the candidate will provide documentation support to include the following:
- Historical record of design changes.
- Tracking the status of project activities, project risk, action items.
- Producing meeting minutes as directed by the project leads to support any airspace and procedures initiative formally approved by the NextGen Advisory Committee (NAC) and/or senior leaders at the direction of the project leads.
Additional Duties May Include:
- Provide input for the development of facility training packages.
- Coordinate support for required technical interchange meetings and various program reviews.
- Coordinate workgroup activities for Air Traffic Organization (ATO) program offices.
- Assist in air traffic requirements development; system analysis; system/subsystem specifications analysis to ensure air traffic operational concerns are addressed and appropriate technical requirements are included.
Position requires approximately 10% travel.
We are seeking a talented and energetic candidate to work with the best and brightest employees around the country in creating innovative all-encompassing solutions for our programs. You will work in a fast-paced and diverse environment, enjoy flexible work arrangements, and will have a management team that encourages your career development and growth.
In this role, you will gain many intangible skills, such as time and task management, critical thinking and problem solving, the ability to communicate complicated problems in a concise manner, as well as solve complex problems using available tools.
Please Note: Must be able to work onsite in Des Moines, WA (once temporary Pandemic related remote work is over or when asked to return to the office).
- Previous designation as a Certified Professional Controller (CPC).
- Ability to obtain and/or Maintain Public Trust security clearance.
- Air Traffic Control Experience (FAA, Contractor, OR Military).
- Bachelor’s degree with 4 plus OR more years of experience OR Documented Air Traffic Control experience will be considered for determining qualification.
- Substantial knowledge of aviation operations and/or airspace management.
- Experience in a staff environment preparing written documents, memos and briefs.
- Knowledge of the following FAA Orders/Specifications:
- FAA Order JO 7100.41, Performance Based Navigation Implementation Process.
- FAA Order 8260.58, United States Standard for Performance Based Navigation (PBN) Instrument Procedure Design.
- Community Involvement Performance Based Navigation (PBN) Desk Guide.
- FAA Order 8260.19, Flight Procedures and Airspace.
- FAA Order 8260.3, United States Standard for Terminal Instrument Procedures (TERPS).
- FAA Order 8260.46, Departure Procedure (DP) Program.
- FAA Order 8260.26, Establishing and Scheduling Civil Public-Use Instrument Procedure Effective Dates.
We value and support the well-being and mobility of our employees with competitive benefit packages, complementary e-learning training, work-life flexibility, an exciting External Referral Program, and a diverse, inclusive and ethical work place. In fact, in 2020, Leidos was ranked as one of the “World's Most Ethical Companies” by the Ethisphere Institute for the third consecutive year.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:$1000
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.