The Federal Health Operation has an opening for a Systems Engineer/Architect for a DoD customer, located at Ft. Detrick, MD. Position is with a DoD Acquisition Enterprise Information Technology (IT) Project Management Office (PMO), supporting Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulated medical research and acquisition. Candidate will work for the Chief Systems Engineer on the project, but is expected to work independently with government contract leadership and major customers to accomplish assignments.
The Systems Engineer/Architect is responsible for technical planning, system hardware-software-network design and systems integration for the eIT PMO. Candidate will evaluate alternatives including cost and risk, supportability and analyses for total systems. Duties will include system analysis, analysis of alternatives for software solution selection, requirements analysis, and systems integration.
The Systems Engineer/Architect follows DoD/Army/DHA and local IT governance and guidance and will use their knowledge of the current IT marketplace and design principles to identify technical solutions that the eIT PMO will then deploy to support the command’s mission. The Systems Engineer/Architect is part of both the planning and execution teams on the project to identify and analyze solutions, as well as recommend and execute the process to implement them in the eIT PMO environment. The Systems Engineer/Architect will work with Chief Systems Engineer for high level planning as well as with the System Administrators to implement technical solutions.
- Develop new system design plans and engineering products including documentation, models and relevant engineering/architecture artifacts
- Establish system design and functionality models and documentation
- Be accountable for the development and maintenance of the organizations technical architecture and related solution engineering work
- Responsible for detailing the organization’s cloud technical transition and evolutionary change
- Support systems/environment solutions for multiple projects with varying schedules and interface with vendors for solution of trouble calls
- Interact with peers on a daily basis and during review board meetings, interaction with customers and/or function peer group leads and managers
- Investigates and gains knowledge on new methods and technologies. Particularly relating to the application of technology to the field of Medical Research
- Apply knowledge of IT systems, hardware, software, networks, databases and vendor services to support all eIT PMO activities
- Assist the Chief Systems Engineer in delivering services and capabilities that fulfill the eIT PMO’s strategic plan and the needs of our customers
- Work to meet scheduled milestones and deliverables in the Integrated Master Schedule
SECONDARY AND/OR MORE SPECIFIC DUTIES:
- Be enthusiastic to meet the customers’ needs
- Track and provide integration engineering support for vendor software releases and security patches
- Engineer the system upgrade process and data migration plan in conjunction with the Systems Engineering and Architecture Team and the Operations Team
- Coordinate documentation of all system technical configurations
- Proactively review operational system designs and system operations for problems and work with the operations Team to resolve
- Collaboratively identify areas of opportunity within the portfolio’s service offerings and capabilities
- Work with external service providers on solution design and service adoption and integration.
- Bachelor’s Degree or relevant formal accreditation related to IT services and support is required.
- 4 years’ experience in the IT field.
- Be able to evaluate complex system designs and architectures, in order to clearly articulate findings to peers and non-technical stakeholders.
- Be able to document as is and to be design models in appropriate tools.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are a must in order to interface with multiple teams on business and information management processes.
- Be self-motivated to discover new industry related technologies and solution models
- Excellent English, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Maintain a professional and courteous manner at all times
- Must be able to work independently following a brief period of specific technical training, and also be a strong team player.
- Understanding of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Project and Visio).
- Be detail oriented and demonstrate the ability to absorb and clearly document complex problems.
- Physical capabilities: work may involve long periods of sitting and or standing. (office environment)
Understanding of and/or experience in the following:
- Developing cloud hosted solutions
- DevOps (DevSecOps)
- UML based systems and process modeling tools
- Designing or managing applications and services in a cloud environment
- Designing or managing containerized solutions
- Maintain awareness of technological developments that could enhance the eIT PMO’s service offerings and capabilities.
- Technical tools relevant to role, such as Sparx Enterprise Architect
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:2000
Potential for Telework:Yes, 10%
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.