Leidos has an immediate opportunity for a Staff Software Test Engineer located in Morgantown, WV or Charlottesville, VA. The role will play an integral part to help us shape, develop, and deliver new software solutions leveraging state-of-the art technologies to our government customers. The successful candidate will work collaboratively with an outstanding software engineering team and will support the team’s software deployed in the cloud for US Air Force bases across the world. Our engineers are at the forefront of defining and building solutions to address challenges faced by our end users, applying a go-fast agile approach driven by small teams that rely on and value the contributions of each team member.
As the Staff Software Test Engineer, you’ll direct the test team members in the planning, design and execution of end-to-end automated testing in support of the Continuous Integration (CI)/Continuous Deployment (CD) of our products to customers worldwide. You’ll identify opportunities to increase the level of automated testing of our customer products and solutions, plan and execute strategies to achieve test automation objectives, continuously measure and improve the effectiveness of that testing based on Key Performance Indicators (KPIs), and evaluate and integrate new testing tools, technologies, and procedures to achieve the organization’s technical objectives. You’ll conduct feasibility analysis and create test design solutions for Product teams. You’ll collaborate on the design and implementation of effective test environments, identification, creation and/or procurement of test data sets, and help develop reusable test harnesses that can be applied across projects and domains. You’ll collaborate with engineering and product team members, architects, and other IT resources to create and execute test strategies, detailed test plans, and scenarios. You’ll always respect the opinions of others, accept constructive criticism, share your views with a passion for improving the entire team’s performance, and collaborate openly and positively with your teammates.
- Lead a team of automated testers in the planning, design and execution of end-to-end automated testing to support cloud-deployed products and solutions
- Create and maintain test methodology documentation for traceability and repeatability
- Set test automation objectives in coordination with the Chief Engineer and Lead Software Engineers and design and execute plans to achieve those objectives
- Report metrics and status on objectives to the respective development team leads
- Plan for tools, infrastructure and resources necessary to maintain the test organization
- Identify regression test candidates for automation, plan automation activities across the team and automate test cases
- Estimate test case development and execution effort
- Write test cases and hold test case reviews with stakeholders
- Enter and update test tickets to track progress.
- Execute test cases/scripts including functional, regression, exploratory, performance, load and smoke tests for both web applications and database
- Report issues in work management tool (e.g., Jira) along with steps required to re-create the issue
- Record and report test results
- Participate in Agile ceremonies, including daily standups, sprint planning meetings, sprint reviews and sprint retrospectives
- Participate in all phases of risk management assessments and software development with emphasis on analysis of user requirements, test design and test tools selection
- Utilize software testing applications and COTS products in support of testing activities
- Support metrics program by collecting and tracking metrics on all activities
- Use metrics to identify areas for improvement
- Provide innovative solutions for more efficient testing strategy
- Mentor other testers in adopting agile and security test strategies
- Work closely with software engineers to create and maintain test artifacts that may be reviewed by external stakeholders real time
- Possess and apply expertise on multiple complex work assignments
- BS degree and 8-12 years relevant experience or Masters with 6-10 years of relevant experience
- Experience leading and mentoring teams and promoting testing best practices across teams
- Experience with automating unit, functional, integration and/or performance testing of web applications using industry-standard tools such as JUnit, Jest, Postman/SoapUI, Cucumber, Selenium, and JMeter
- Experience with writing and/or developing test procedures and automated test scripts
- Strong, self-motivated desire to learn new tools, frameworks, and techniques
- Ability to complete tasking independently with minimal direct supervision
- Ability to work and collaborate effectively within a multi-disciplined engineering team
- Must have ability to acquire a DoD Secret Security Clearance
- U.S. Citizenship required
- Experience with Agile development principles and methodologies
- Working knowledge of continuous integration and delivery methodologies and tools
- Familiarity with software design patterns
- Solid understanding of software development process fundamentals
- Knowledge of a version control system (e.g., Git).
- Experience load testing applications to simulate periods of high demand
- Proficiency in Ruby/Cucumber, functional testing, regression testing, integration testing and understanding of test driven development
- Familiarity with CI/CD processes and tools (Jenkins)
- Familiarity with multiple operating systems (Mac OSX, Windows, LINUX, etc.).
- Familiarity with SQL and NoSQL databases
- Experience managing projects within the Atlassian suite of tools (Confluence, JIRA, Bitbucket).
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:$2,000
Potential for Telework:Yes, 25%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Testing and Quality Assurance
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.