The Leidos Innovation Center (LInC) at Leidos currently has an opening for a Research Scientist to work at Leidos location in Billerica, MA. This is an exciting opportunity to use your experience to support our programs with NRL, AFRL, DARPA, ONR, HPCMPO and other DoD and DoE programs. In these missions we are developing high performance simulation tools for vacuum electronics and particle acceleration and applying them to the design of advanced high power vacuum electronic devices such as klystrons, TWTs, magnetrons, etc., and accelerator components. The simulation codes include electromagnetic, electrostatic, and particle-in-cell (PIC) codes such as MICHELLE, MICHELLE-eBEAM, VOYAGER, NEPTUNE, ICEPIC, TESLA, CHRISTINE, ARGUS, and a host of supporting software for interfacing codes, user interfaces such as the new Leidos COMPASS tool, and post-processing and visualization. We are also involved in system, component and material responses to HPM and EMP.
The tasks in this job is in support of uncovering and implementing solutions to our customers’ problems that are constantly changing. This Team is small in size, agile in responsiveness, diverse in personal abilities and scope, and strong in effectiveness and solutions to problems. The Team works great together and has been together for a good number of years. If you believe you’re a good fit, please consider applying for this career position at Leidos.
Roles and Responsibilities:
• Design, develop, and re-engineer large-scale electromagnetic code architectures.
• Design, develop, implement, and test new physics-based algorithms related to code list above.
• Design, develop, implement, and test multi-code interfaces and environments.
• Modeling, simulation, and analysis for EM component designs.
• Modeling, simulation, and analysis of materials and components to HPM & EMP.
• Attend conferences and author publications, as appropriate.
To be considered for this position, you must minimally meet the knowledge, skills, and abilities listed below
• Doctor of Philosophy, or Master’s degree with at least 5 years of experience, in physics or engineering in the development of high-performance EM codes, as well as modeling and analysis of structures and components used in vacuum electron devices, HPM and particle accelerators using finite-element codes and finite-difference codes
• Experience in C++, GPU/CUDA, MPI, MATLAB
• Experience with CAD and the generation of computational meshes of geometries
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a DoD Secret Security Clearance
Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration
• Experience using DoD and DoE high performance computer centers.
• Publications in professional journals in areas related to the above areas.
• Experience with FORTRAN, Phi coprocessors.
• Experience with MICHELLE, NEPTUNE, ICEPIC, AWR Analyst-MP, ANSYS HFSS & Maxwell, and/or similar simulation codes.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:$5000.00
Potential for Telework:Yes, 10%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.