The Leidos Innovations Center (LInC) is seeking an Autonomy Software Engineer for a position in Dayton, OH. The Autonomy Software Engineer will work with the Autonomy Team to design and implement capabilities within the autonomy core system (ACS) for the Air Force Vanguard program, Skyborg. Leidos is currently under contract to develop and integrate autonomy capabilities within the ACS that will control low-cost, teamed aircraft to provide pilots with key data to support rapid, informed decisions.
This position will focus on the continued development and integration of the Skyborg autonomy components and autonomous behaviors while representing the Systems Design Agent (SDA) to our customers, our internal and external partners, and the community. The Autonomy Software Engineer will be responsible for designing, implementing, and testing object-oriented C++ software to support the Skyborg autonomy suite. This position also involves working within multiple agile software development teams contributing to the development of the full autonomy architecture and prototyping autonomy capabilities. The Autonomy Software Engineer may also be responsible for working with third party developers to integrate advanced capabilities into the ACS.
This work is primarily located in Dayton, OH.
- Develop and deliver autonomous solutions in a range of autonomy technology areas, to include: Perception & situational understanding; Planning & decision-making; Behavior & action execution; Collaboration & manned-unmanned teaming
- Collaborate within agile development teams to develop autonomy capabilities
- Assist other software engineers in the design and development of modular autonomy capabilities
- Work with 3rd party vendors to integrate relevant capabilities into the Autonomy Core System
- Coordinate with multiple internal and external partners
- Participate in peer reviews of design, code, and documentation
- U.S. citizen with the ability to obtain a Secret clearance
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, engineering degree, or related discipline with 4-8 years relevant experience or a Master’s with 2-6 years relevant experience
- Proven ability to design, articulate, and deliver autonomous capability solutions that are scalable, robust, secure, and resilient
- Ability to communicate effectively about autonomy architectures and autonomous behaviors with a broad range of audiences, from novice developers to external customers and from sophisticated autonomy and AI researchers to those with little or no relevant background
- Experience with Linux
- Experience with Open Mission Systems (OMS)
- Experience developing autonomous systems
- Hands-on experience with one, and familiarity with a broad range of, autonomous systems development tools and modeling and simulation tools
- Experience designing, developing, and deploying multi-platform teams of autonomous systems (e.g., swarms, heterogeneous teams, manned-unmanned teams, or collaborative teams)
- Experience designing, developing, and delivering software components in an Agile Scrum environment
- Understand and apply quality techniques and practices (automated unit testing, continuous integration, etc.)
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:2000.00
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.