Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges. Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Our Civil Group offers an array of exciting career opportunities for the best energy, logistics and engineering professionals.
No two career paths will ever look the same. At Leidos, we know the most talented and diverse engineering professionals will always have a multitude of career choices; your time at Leidos will be a wise investment in your career and in yourself.
Protect yourself and your family, with the benefits of working for a world-class employer. When you join Leidos, you join a Fortune 500 company and one of Ethisphere Institute’s “World's Most Ethical Companies”.
Successful candidates can look forward to a fast paced, diverse work environment & flexible work hours/work arrangements as well as managers who will encourage career development and growth including:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Technical & non-technical training opportunities
- Leadership Opportunities
- Mentorship & Training Opportunities
- Opportunity to Lead, Grow, and Inspire a Dynamic Team
In this role, you can also expect to gain
- NESC expertise
- Interface with local clients
- Electrical Power Calculations
- Interactions with other disciplines(Substation, Protection & Controls, and Civil Structural)
- Strategic Development
- Expanding Portfolio of Business
- Partnering with a Variety of Utility Clients Nationwide
We are seeking a Manager of Quality, Training and Process Improvement who will provide leadership within our Power Delivery Services Division – Substation Section. This position will contribute to the continuous improvement of the existing Leidos substation engineering national practice.
The Leidos substation teams provide conceptual and detailed design engineering to the electrical power industry. Our teams utilize our extensive experience in high and medium voltage engineering to deliver new substations and modifications to existing stations. Our work across the US includes design of switching systems from 4 kV through 765 kV, and includes all elements of substation engineering, including physical design, protection and control (P&C), station auxiliary design, civil, and structural engineering. Additionally, our advanced power engineers provide system analysis and settings engineering on expansive customer networks.
This role will require the assessment of existing Leidos substation engineering procedures and practices, and result in the development of process improvements and corrective actions where beneficial. The position requires the review of our substation team’s performance. The successful candidate will identify areas for improvement in our approach to substation engineering, and will utilize process changes and targeted training to improve the staff and the procedures we use to govern our work.
The successful candidate will develop targeted and effective training to improve the existing staff and support the onboarding and development of new staff. Training will include topical areas such as electrical power engineering, civil engineering, and structural engineering. Additionally, the training will include increases in subject matter expertise in areas such as power breakers, transformers, switchgear, and relays. Through the concurrent focus on engineering processes, training, and quality assessments, the manager will drive divisional improvements that will propel the entire substation team.
The position will require working closely with internal and external clients and stakeholders. The successful candidate will serve as assessor, mentor, and coach to the diverse substation team and its leadership. We are seeking an innovative thinker who can bring best practices and improvements to our successful and talented substation team.
Review, assess and recommend modifications to the existing substation engineering processes and procedures to improve overall quality and effectiveness. Work with the engineering leadership team to develop a culture of continuous improvement.
• Establish a formal substation engineering training program in our subject areas including substation design, protection and control (P&C), civil/structural engineering, and settings engineering. Utilize internal and external resources and maximize the value of training activities.
• Perform regular QA/QC inspections to assess the effectiveness of process. Verify that training activities are effective through review of deliverables. Continuously improve process and training to address trends around internal and external feedback.
• Develop project specific training for select projects to mitigate risk from infrequently performed tasks and potential knowledge gaps
• Perform root and apparent cause analysis for quality issues and support the development and implementation of corrective actions and actions to prevent recurrence.
• Develop strong professional relationships with engineering managers and lead engineering staff. Support the technical and professional development of substation staff in regional offices working closely with the engineering leadership teams.
• Develop client relationships with key accounts to solicit feedback on our performance, and support project managers and account managers with communicating our improvement efforts to our clients. Support the development of select proposals regarding quality, training and process improvement efforts.
• Participate and present in industry forums and conferences to improve our understanding of new technologies, as well as advance our brand in the industry. Expand our footprint with industry groups such as the IEEE, and drive the development of white papers and targeted publications relevant to the industry.
• Provide input to management teams on annual performance reviews and assessments
• Bachelor of Science degree and 8+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6+ years of prior relevant experience.
• Professional Engineering (PE) license is preferred
• Must be proficient in substation engineering methodology. Candidates from other segments of the power industry will be considered provided they have the technical acumen to perform the job duties described for the position, however preference will be given to experienced substation professionals
• Demonstrated excellent oral and written communications skills are required
• Strong teamwork and collaboration skills are required
• Willingness to travel to project and/or client sites. Travel is expected to be less than 10%
• Previous technical teaching and presentation experience preferred
Leidos is a trusted and technology-focused solutions provider. Utilities and mobile operators rely on our Power Delivery Services Team for reliable power and telecommunication expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities, more than 160 municipals/cooperatives, as well as a growing number of mobile operators, local utility providers and private developers. In addition to providing engineering and project management services, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful Energy Delivery Solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within the Top 10 T&D Firms, and Top 10 Power Firms
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.