The Leidos Innovations Center (LInC) is seeking a Senior Autonomy Engineer for a position in Dayton, OH. The Autonomy Engineer will work with the Autonomy Lead to design and implement the autonomy core system (ACS) for the Air Force Vanguard program, Skyborg. Leidos is currently under contract to create a reference architecture and implementation for the core autonomy system that will autonomously control low-cost, teamed aircraft to provide pilots with key data to support rapid, informed decisions.
This position will focus on the continued development and integration of the Skyborg autonomy architecture, autonomy components, and autonomous behaviors while representing the Systems Design Agent (SDA) to our customers, our internal and external partners, and the community. The Autonomy Engineer will be responsible for leading a team of engineers to design, implement, and test object-oriented C++ software to support the Skyborg autonomy suite. This position also involves working within multiple agile software development teams contributing to the development of the autonomy architecture and prototyping autonomy capabilities. The Autonomy Engineer may also be responsible for working with third party developers to integrate advanced capabilities into the ACS.
This work is primarily located in Dayton, OH. However, there is a potential option to working remotely from the Arlington, VA or Huntsville, AL Leidos offices with occasional travel to Dayton, OH.
- Work in tandem with the SDA Autonomy Lead to support the development of autonomous architecture subsystems and components that provide capabilities to support the Skyborg program
- Lead engineers and scientists developing and delivering autonomous solutions in a range of technology areas, to include: Perception & situational understanding; Planning & decision-making; Behavior & action execution; Collaboration & manned-unmanned teaming
- Serve as a leading technical expert on Autonomous Systems within Leidos and across the community
- Assist Autonomy Lead in leading the design and development of an open and modular autonomy architecture
- Lead multiple Agile sprint teams to implement an autonomy architecture and prototype autonomy capabilities
- Work with 3rd party vendors to identify relevant capabilities for integration into the Autonomy Core System
Coordinate with multiple internal and external partners
- Participate in peer reviews of design, code, and documentation
- U.S. citizen with the ability to obtain a Secret clearance
- Bachelor’s Degree in computer science, engineering degree, or related discipline with 12 years relevant experience or a Master’s with 10 years relevant experience
- 7+ years technical leadership within autonomous system projects in industry, academia, or government, including at least 5 years of technical leadership within major autonomous systems programs
- Knowledge and understanding of the guidance, standards, and regulations involved with autonomous system R&D and deployment
- Proven ability to design, articulate, and deliver complex, large-scale autonomous system solutions that are scalable, robust, secure, and resilient
- Proven ability to lead teams to deliver clear, measurable value to program owners and end users
- Ability to communicate effectively about autonomy architectures and autonomous behaviors with a broad range of audiences, from internal leaders to external customers and from sophisticated autonomy and AI researchers to those with little or no relevant background
- TS/SCI preferred. The ability to obtain a TS/SCI clearance is strongly preferred
- Established relationships with leading autonomous systems and AI companies
- Experience in designing solutions that optimize performance through advanced HW and software techniques
- Hands-on experience with one and familiarity with a broad range of autonomous systems development tools and modeling and simulation tools
- Experience with and ability to formulate solutions using one or more open unmanned system architectures: OMS, JAUS, UMAA, UCS, or equivalent
- Experience designing, developing and deploying multi-platform teams of autonomous systems (e.g., swarms, heterogeneous teams, manned-unmanned teams, or collaborative teams)
- Familiarity with leading commercial and Open Source Autonomy / AI / ML / Data Science platforms
- Experience designing and developing software components in an Agile Scrum environment
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:2000.00
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.