Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
We are seeking an Associate Substation Engineer who will work as a member of a dynamic team within our Commercial Energy Services Operation organization; specifically our Power Delivery division: an established group of electric utility engineering consultants that solve challenging substation engineering problems for our utility clients Nation-wide. The Associate Substation Engineer will work under the direct supervision of an experienced licensed professional engineer and is expected to develop skills in the field of substation engineering and the ability to work with greater independence.
Leidos is a trusted and future-focused solutions provider. Utilities consistently come to Leidos for reliable power expertise, as reflected through our work with more than 50 investor-owned utilities and more than 160 municipals/cooperatives across the country as well as a growing number of local utility providers and private developers. Our project portfolio includes large energy projects for electric utilities, power generation owners, and industrial clients. In addition, Leidos works with an established group of industry-leading construction partners delivering meaningful energy delivery solutions. Our recognition as an industry leader is confirmed by the latest national rankings by Engineering News-Record (ENR) ranking Leidos within: the Top 10 T&D Firms, Top 10 Program Management Firms, and Top 20 Power Firms.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
In this role the qualified individual will be expected to:
- Assist project teams with Physical Electrical, Protection and Control, SCADA Systems, Station Communications and Station Automation design on utility substation engineering projects.
- Perform basic engineering calculations to support engineering design.
- Follow the established Quality Control Plan while completing assignments.
- Assist with the preparation of project deliverables including but not limited to engineered drawings, technical reports, project-related correspondence and miscellaneous project documentation.
- Collaborate with other substation engineering disciplines as required.
- Assist the team with the development of processes and procedures to improve project execution efficiency.
- Maintain accurate records and files and a high level of organization.
- Take opportunities to improve technical knowledge and understanding of the work.
- Support Leidos’ goals and represent the company positively and professionally.
- B.S. or M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university ·
- 0 – 2 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a B.S. degree
- 0 – 1 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a M.S. degree
- Basic understanding of the utility grid (power generation, transmission and distribution) system
- Solid understanding of the basic principles of electric power
- Keen focus of quality and an appreciation for high quality deliverables
- Strong attention to details
- Understanding of basic engineering theories and principles
- Understanding of basic practices of researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations
- Ability to meet deadlines under high pressure situations
- Team player who can work effectively in team environment with an ability to deal with a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
- Ability to multitask on assignments while maintaining schedule
- Proactive communication with strong written and oral communication skills
- Strong organizational skills
- High level of computer and internet competency
- Proficiency with using Windows-based software programs
- Major emphasis in Power Systems Design and Engineering
- Received a passing grade on the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Exam
- Prior relevant experience in electric power engineering
- Active membership in national engineering societies (IEEE, PES, etc.)
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 46,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $14.4 billion for the fiscal year ended December 30, 2022. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.