Leidos is currently seeking a driven, results oriented and motivated self-starter with a technical background to join the NISC team as an Electrical Engineer in support of the Federal Aviation Administration’s (FAA) Power Services Group (PSG), specifically the Engine Generator (EG) Program. The successful candidate will be responsible for understanding the technical portion of the overall program and sharing that knowledge. With technical understanding, the candidate will support design, installation and operation activities of field facilities where prime, standby and backup power systems are installed. Duties include:
Interpreting codes, directives and governing documents as they apply to specific designs and installations, Reviewing, critiquing, and recommending changes to site designs for a wide variety of EG power systems Sharing and coordinating information with engineers, site designers and installation contractors, Responding to design and installation questions for facility power systems and equipment,
Day to day responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Review design plans, shop drawings, specifications and related project documents for appropriate selection of electrical and mechanical equipment and installation material
- Interpret codes and standards as applied to an evolving design
- Ensure requirements of codes and standards are reflected in designs
- Identify and resolve conflicts between requirements and designs
- Prepare detailed technical review comments during design development.
- Provide technical information to designers and installers as required
- Provide technical information to other program offices as required
- Participate in telcons to review and resolve site design and installation issues.
- Recognize site issues that have nation-wide, program-wide impact and initiate resolution
- Work independently to achieve day-to-day EG Program objectives which may significantly impact operational results or program objectives.
- Keep up-to-date with current code, standards and technical subjects
- Review Arc Flash, Short-Circuit, and Circuit Breaker Coordination Studies
- Review project documents for cost estimates
- Prepare cost estimates for design changes
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor degree in Electrical Engineering from an institution accredited by ABET and recognized for PE licensing and 2 to 4 years of experience on EE projects (not Utility)
- Working knowledge of NEC
- Familiarity with electrical power systems (not Utility)
- Thirst for new knowledge
- Must work well with others
- Ability to present ideas to diverse audiences
- Proficient in the use MS Word and Excel
- US Citizen or Permanent Resident who has resided in the US for the past 3 years to be eligible to obtain a Public Trust clearance investigation.
- FE exam success, PE desirable
- Working knowledge of on-site power systems (not Utility)
- Experience working with FAA programs related to power
- Working knowledge of FAA Orders and Standards related to power
- Working knowledge of HVAC systems and Seismic installation
- Working knowledge of grounding and lightning protection systems
- Mechanical background and concrete foundation knowledge
- Knowledge of Engine Generator, UPS, DC Bus, fuel systems, i.e. diesel & propane,
- Familiarity with computer applications such as EDSA, SKM, ETAP, AUTOCAD, Microstation and MS Project
- Availability to travel 1 week each quarter
- Use of AUTOCAD or Revit to create construction drawings
- Knowledge of renewable energy and microgrid power systems
- Familiarity with basic civil works and machinery foundation installation
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:1000
Potential for Telework:Yes, 75%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.