The Maritime Solutions Division (MSD) of Leidos develops and deploys advanced technology solutions that address existing and emerging maritime missions of national importance for a broad range of customers across the Department of Defense, Intelligence Community, other governmental agencies and commercial clients. Leidos MSD is currently seeking a qualified, energetic engineer to fill the position of Ocean Engineer to assist in the development, demonstration, and production of advanced ocean sensor systems and payload subsystems, and integration of those systems with manned and unmanned maritime platforms. Current and future projects span advanced concept and prototype development, low-rate initial production, maintenance planning and requirements development for Navy facilities, and innovative long-term designs for multiple customers. Position will require periodic travel to and coordination with engineering activities at other Leidos facilities and government facilities, in multiple locations across the United States and possibly the United Kingdom. Initial focus will be on support of operations and maintenance activities at the Southeast Alaska Acoustic Measurement Facility (SEAFAC), the South Tongue of the Ocean Acoustic Measurement Facility (STAFAC), the British Underwater Test and Evaluation Centre (BUTEC), and other US Navy programs.
MSD is an industry leader in developing, applying, and advancing the state of the art signal processing technologies for Command, Control, Communications, Computers, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C4ISR) systems including distributed netted sensor systems, communications systems, positioning systems, tactical decision systems, and autonomous unmanned platforms. Leidos maritime systems are addressing complex mission requirements and pioneering impressive firsts in the application of advanced signal processing solutions to the full range of maritime missions. The MSD team includes an outstanding group of engineers and scientists, located in Arlington VA, Long Beach MS, Newport RI, Poulsbo WA, San Diego CA, and other sites around the United States, who support a broad range of activities ranging from advanced prototype development for DARPA, ONR and other S&T customers to provide support for ongoing Navy missions. The successful applicant will become part of a world class team that is a recognized leader in maritime systems development.
This position involves taking ocean hardware systems, and/or systems of systems, through prototype research and development, and initial installation. It may also include operations and maintenance of the developed systems. Leads and/or supports sea test (installation, recovery, and testing) planning and/or execution including developing detailed at-sea modeling and planning for installation and recovery of complex systems. Technology development and demonstration plans to mature system from concept design, through prototype development and demonstration, and into production. Identification of program technical risks and the development of risk mitigation and technology maturation plans to address those risks. Identifies, tracks, and manages system requirements and requirements traceability. Implements system engineering processes within the program consistent with company and ISO-9001 standards. Develops and/or augments system documentation, specifications and drawings, as needed, to support design activities and program deliverable requirements appropriate to development stage.
Specific task responsibilities include:
- Requirements development, design generation, detailed modeling and hands-on building for a variety of Navy customers with applications including use of submarine telecommunications cables, underwater hardware, installation and recovery of subsea assets, and more.
- Developing specific and detailed on-water execution plans for recovery, deployment, and maintenance of complex in-water systems.
- Definition and direction of system trade studies associated with the design generation of acoustic listening systems for the US Navy.
- Requirements and design reviews (SRR, PDR, CDR) for any modifications to system Baseline.
- Maintaining all system documentation for any modifications to the Baseline.
- Traveling to execute developed plans and install systems in both on land and offshore environments in CONUS and OCONUS locations.
- Documenting external and subsystem interfaces.
- Risk management and risk reduction activities including analyses and trade-offs to reduce performance and delivery risks; enhance manufacturability, and/or control costs.
- Requires BS and 4 – 8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2 – 6 years of prior relevant experience.
- Experience with underwater/marine engineering and the unique applications of working in a maritime environment.
- Experience with SolidWorks software.
- Working ability to operate OrcaFlex, MathCAD, Matlab, and other analysis tools.
- Experience in undersea hardware system development.
- Effectively work with a team establishing strong, collaborative working relationships with government customers, technical staff, senior managers and peers.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, along with excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must have ability to obtain a Secret Security clearance
Must also be able to:
a. climb at least 50 feet of rung ladder to access various parts of a vessel as required
b. remain alert during extended working hours
c. perceive depth
d. drive a company vehicle
e. transit to and from a marine vessel including transiting up and down marina gangways at varying angles as needed during travel
- Master’s degree in Mechanical/Ocean Engineering/Naval Architecture or other related discipline.
- Experience with installation and recovery of Navy or other maritime assets
- Experience with cranes and weight handling operations at sea
- Evaluation of the suitability of maritime assets for meeting project requirements
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:$3,000
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Mechanical Engineering
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.