Varec, a wholly owned subsidiary of Leidos, is looking for a Director of Software Development. Varec, Inc. is considered the pioneer of inventory tank gauging instrumentation and offers 93 years of service, tracking over 4,000,000,000 gallons of fuel annually, in supporting of over 3,000 airfields with their fuel management product
Today, Varec is a worldwide leader in fuels management systems for total asset visibility and control, supplying integrated hardware and software solutions to oil and gas, defense and aviation markets. The Varec FuelsManager suite of product solutions has been a longtime standard of major oil companies and the U.S. Department of Defense, as well as aviation tank farm operators and service providers. With its headquarters and manufacturing facility outside of Atlanta, Georgia, Varec also has offices in Virginia, Australia and the United Kingdom. For more information, visit www.varec.com.
The Director of Software Development will direct application architecture requirements and deployment in cloud environments for Varec products and solutions. This position will lead Agile teams of individuals to design, develop, deploy and maintain quality applications on schedule and within budget. Responsible for planning, coordinating and overseeing the development/unit testing across the entire suite of Varec applications. The Director of Software Development will manage members of the development and testing teams to deliver quality products
- Responsible for hiring, developing, and training talented, creative and innovative development resources
- Establish and enforce the tools, techniques, principles and practices of the development department
- Fosters and maintains highly effective internal partnerships with all departments including IT, Infrastructure, Product Management, Software Quality Assurance and different business units
- Execute action items resulting from Root Cause Analysis (RCA) sessions to avoid future production defects
- Provide business, data, application and technology consulting in pre-feasibility and feasibility discussions with IT team members and business partners
- Provide technical leadership and guidance to the development teams for project level architectures and design work
- Lead the technical review component of vendor software package evaluation projects
- Translate business requirements into functional service designs and create service models along with supporting technical documentation
- Identify opportunities to reuse enterprise technology services
- Promote the use of innovative techniques and technologies that will provide benefits to Varec. Lead the introduction of new technologies as well as leveraging enterprise capabilities
- Provide a software development plan that meets the future needs of our customers and markets based on new and innovative techniques and technologies
- Perform peer reviews of designs and solution proposals to ensure conformance to current practice and quality of work being generated
- Perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- As a senior leader within Varec, embrace and enable the Varec core values ∙ Promote, plan, communicate, and implement employee engagement activities within and across departments/teams that influence a positive work environment
- Drive differentiation into the organization to create long-term competitive advantage
- Support the long-term growth strategy, vision, and mission
- Achieve or exceed Annual Operating Plan objectives
- Excellent analytical, problem-solving and project management skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to motivate teams to produce quality materials within tight timeframes and simultaneously manage several projects
- Ability to define, structure and plan work independently
- Proven cross-functional relationship building skills
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of management
- Pro-active leadership style
- The successful candidate will have related multiple years of hands-on experience of supporting Commercial Cloud Services such as AWS and Azure.
- Knowledge of cloud based production application infrastructure and processes (AWS or Azure, DevOps, micro services, containerization, security, networking, load balancing, replication, disaster recovery, etc.)
- Working knowledge of the design and implementation of Application Architecture using cloud native and data warehousing principles and of Java, C#, XML, HTML, Java Script, React, SQL Server Database, MongoDB, PostgreSQL, Kubernetes, Istio, Kafka and Spark
- Strong knowledge and experience in Agile development methodologies and in effectively leading Agile development teams
- Strong Background in SecDevOps
- Bachelor s Degree from an accredited college in Computer Science, MIS or equivalent experience +5 years of Software Development experience
- Minimum 8 years of supervisory experience leading development efforts in software development or related position, experience managing medium and large project/development teams
- Experience in all aspects of Software Development Life Cycle including but not limited to architecting solutions, designing applications, coding, unit testing and implementing utilizing a variety of tools and technologies.
- Masters in Computer Science or other relevant field
- Knowledge for Agile frameworks and implementation of Agile Methodologies to multiple teams in large-scale enterprise change projects & programs. Experience should include coaching and enabling scrum team members.
- Demonstrated understanding of IT infrastructure tools, processes and practices, including Cloud resource provisions, deployment, microservices, and DevOps
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.