Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
Leidos is seeking a Radio Frequency / Microwave Researcher to join our research support team at the US Department of Energy National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) in Pittsburgh, PA through our Workforce Development program. The successful candidate will provide support to the Natural Gas team, research will involve developing telemetry for wireless sensors and deploying wireless sensors in natural gas infrastructures.
The candidate will model and design RF and microwave devices, wireless telemetry components including antennas for wireless sensors. The candidate will also perform experimental work such as characterization of RF/microwave devices including antennas and wireless sensors and their deployment in infrastructures using standard scientific approaches and techniques to support principal scientific researchers, observes, calculates, records and interprets the results of models/tests and analyses, and designs, constructs, modifies, calibrates, operates and maintains equipment used for these purposes or devised as a result of the work.
TERM OF COMMITMENT: This research position is intended to be a term position, with varying levels of commitment that are not expected to last longer than 1 year. You will be informed prior to applying what length of commitment is anticipated. Also, those who successfully fill a term position, may be invited to apply for an additional term. Nothing in this paragraph is intended to create an employment contract. Employment will remain at will.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
The project includes the following tasks:
- Assisting NETL staff on electromagnetic modeling for wireless sensors to be used to monitor fossil fuel infrastructures.
- Developing wireless power transfer methodologies for distributed RF/microwave-based sensing applications.
- Modeling, designing, and characterizing antennas and other microwave devices.
- Developing methodologies for integration of antennas with wireless sensors.
- Developing methods to deploy wireless sensors on energy infrastructures.
- Collecting, recording, and analyzing wireless power transfer and sensor data.
- Preparing reports, presentations, and publications on the results of the study.
- The candidate will prepare technical reports on project scope, milestones and conference/workshop presentations to disseminate research findings, activities, operations, and future initiatives to industry, academic and government stakeholders is a requirement for this position.
- Period status reporting (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annually) is required to update project managers and customers.
- The candidate will participate in group meetings. Group meetings are designed to allow the applicant to discuss current research and promote discussion with fellow researchers. The manager will request the applicant to provide a PowerPoint presentation for group meetings. The frequency of these presentations is generally once every 6 months but can occur at a higher rate.
- This position will require extensive interface with customers and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required. The complexity of information to be managed will require excellent organization skills and attention to detail.
- Master’s degree in a science or science-related field (e.g., electric engineering, physics) and less than one year of job-related experience
- Basic understanding on applied electromagnetics (EM) with skills for EM modeling and experiments
- Excellent communication skills and a willingness and interest to collaborate in an interdisciplinary team environment to drive towards overall project and team objectives
- Ability to gain access to customer site
- Ph.D. in relevant science or engineering discipline. (electric engineering, physics)
- Experience with antenna and wireless sensors modeling and designing.
- Experience with using RF/microwave instruments including network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, oscilloscopes etc.
- Experience with interrogator development, data acquisition, and processing techniques.
- Skilled in using COMSOL Multiphysics, ANSYS, MATLAB, Python, LabVIEW, L-Edit, K-Layout.
- First authorship of peer-reviewed journal articles and posters/presentations at national conferences.
- The prospective employee would be familiar with working in a Research and Development setting.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.