At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainably. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business.
If this sounds like a mission you want to be a part of, keep reading!
We are in search of a PostgreSQL database administrator highly skilled in the use of PostgreSQL and Python to join our team based in Woodlawn Maryland. This opening will support the contracts at the Social Security Administration.
This position may require occasional off hours support during system/software upgrades and patches.
Find your “Why” with us!
Every position we take is more rewarding when you know the why behind it. Know your work makes a difference to support those who need it most. If your passion is enabling life changing service to those around, you this is the place for you. Find you passion in a team environment where all members are valued regardless of contractor or employee status. We are excited for you to take your place in our Leidos Family.
We are seeking a Senior PostgreSQL Database Engineer within our multi-database engineering team with strong Python skills. This can be a remote position.
Day to Day Responsibilities
• Supporting the community edition PostgreSQL databases throughout the development and production lifecycles in an AWS environment.
• Design, build, configure, test, update, document, implement, operational support, and upgrade for PostgreSQL server databases in multiple infrastructure environments including. .
• Troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, replication issues, log shipping issues, connectivity issues, security issues, Performance tuning, query optimization, using monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
• At least 2 years of experience using Python.
• Provide database solution reviews, advice, and solution adjustments for application database requirements.
• Participate in technical reviews and walkthroughs of system design documentation with development and design team members.
• Collaborate with development, architecture, and release teams, providing architectural design recommendations, driving standards for effective PostgreSQL transition to production operations.
• Create, test, and implement scripting for automation support.
• Troubleshoot and resolve database integrity issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, indexing issues, replication issues, log shipping issues, connectivity issues, security issues, etc.
• Conduct performance tuning, performance monitoring, capacity planning, and other related monitoring and troubleshooting tasks.
• Setup alerting mechanism and monitor for both database and supporting hardware to ensure system health and maximum availability.
• Identify and resolve incidents and address to user problems/concerns.
• Assess, evaluate and provide resolution for database performance problems
• Document procedures for build, test, update, and upgrading database environments.
• Create, document, and test backup and recovery procedures including Operational and Disaster Recovery scenarios
• Support the standing standards, policies and procedures of the customer team.
• May be scheduled for after hours on-call support and will be required to apply production packages during non-peak hours.
• Create users, establish database security, create resource queue, performance tuning in terms of query execution etc.
• Perform capacity monitoring and short and long-term capacity planning in collaboration with development resources, system administrators and system architects.
• Accept other duties as directed by management.
• Knowledge of automated methods and best practices for installation and configuration of PostgreSQL
• Knowledge of the PostgreSQL architecture
• Knowledge of how indexes, index management, integrity checks, configuration, patching, how statistics work, how indexes are stored, how they can be created and managed effectively.
• Implementing operational automation.
• Documentation skills for creating processes and procedures
• PostgreSQL database operational support skills for educating application development and testing users
• Database performance factors, monitoring tools and tuning procedures
• Database Management skills, including backup and recovery procedures
• Skills in productivity factors and ability to understand impact of problem on overall database performance
• Knowledge of fault detection and resolution processes
• Skills in maintenance tools and procedures
• Additional experience with alternative database products such as NoSQL, Oracle, MongoDB, GreenPlum.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
BS degree and 4 - 8 years of prior relevant experience .
Pay Range:Pay Range $91,000.00 - $140,000.00 - $189,000.00
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.