Leidos is seeking a Senior Level Chief Engineer to drive flawless delivery of a new enterprise IT program for a newly formed agency within an international government with responsibilities for ensuring the secure and smooth movement of people and goods across the nation’s international border.
This leader will be part of a core program management office to lead pre-award activities, shall apply knowledge obtained in the transition discovery phase to oversee the design and deliver a Minimally Viable Product (MVP) version of the customer’s Network, Data Center, Applications, Service Desk and Network/Security Operations (NOSC) to support rapid transitioning as a new government agency is formed and establishes its own enterprise IT capabilities.
The Chief Engineer’s primary initial goal will be to work in tandem with a Transition Leader to build sufficient capacity for the longer term needs while assuring continuity of operations for network, data center, applications and end user services for a geographically dispersed, newly created governmental entity.
The successful candidate will be the executive leader who delivers the full range of enterprise IT services for a newly formed governmental agency. The scope of the initial program phases includes the transition from a current set of IT providers and operational capabilities to a brand new green field departmental wide set of enterprise IT functions, including infrastructure hosting (using Hyperconverged Infrastructure), Software Defined Wide Area Networking, Enterprise End User Services, Applications and Middleware Sustainment, Service Desk and Network/Security Operations.
The Chief Engineer will partner with the Transition Leader to develop sufficient understanding of mission and technical requirements, will work with the Chief Architect to design and deploy a future proof, MVP set of enterprise IT solutions. They, in conjunction with the Transition Leader will oversee all workstreams and to carefully orchestrate cut over from existing providers to the new set of enterprise IT capabilities in an iterative manner balancing speed and risk. It is anticipated that the Transition phase will occur for a period of 6-12 months. As transition occurs, the role and priorities of the Chief Engineer will evolve to attaining the vision of a secure, software defined, resilient enterprise IT capability along with operational capabilities while also deploying sophisticated command and control applications, analytics, data persistence and ML solutions to significantly mature the border security screening solutions for the customer. The Chief Engineer will also work with the Transition Leader to plan and transition the customer’s administrative staff from existing facilities, networking, end user devices, collaborationware/Email solutions to a new green field set of solutions.
The Chief Engineer will:
- Collaborates with the customer, Leidos business leadership and the Program Manager to define the overall priorities, approach, schedule, acceptance criteria, performance levels of all elements of the technical workscope of the enterprise IT program
- Collaborates with the Chief Architect on the design of the enterprise IT solutions and services to both meet the near term transition needs and the vision and capacity of the longer term, flexible, secure, data driven enterprise
- Directs and integrates the design, configuration, testing, deployment commissioning and operationalization phases for engineering specialties such as HCI, SD-WAN, IdAM, End User Device engineering, Field Engineering, Service Delivery and NOSC leadership
- Provides overall technical oversight to assure to ensure timely and quality program execution
- Cultivates and leverages Leidoswide relationships to leverage existing operational and delivery capabilities to accelerate delivery where possible
- Fosters effective relationships with in-country partners and subcontractors to build an effective and cohesive delivery team
- Oversees the implementation of a sufficiently rigorous set of system engineering process and tools to include requirements management, baseline management, risk management, configuration management, schedule management, verification and validation, and reporting
- Directs and integrates engineering activities to achieve agreed upon delivery milestones
This customer has major locations in both in the national capital and in a regional HQ, approximately 3 hours outside of the national capital. Extensive travel will be required to the customer’s in country primary locations and to visit border security checkpoints, other customer stakeholder locations, and to Leidos GHQ in Reston, VA.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field, and 12 plus years combined experience in providing technical direction and leadership for the delivery of technically complex information technologies services to large organizations nationally and/or internationally
- Over 10 years working in a leadership capacity on an enterprise IT/communications services contract
- Over 5 years of Chief Engineer/Technical Director experience leading programs >$100 to $500M USD for public sector customers
- Demonstrated strong leadership and communication/collaboration/coordination/cooperation skills, especially in assuring successful delivery of critical enterprise IT services
- Technical mastery of SD_WAN, HCI, Hybrid Cloud, Modern Data Management solutions, modern Identity Management solutions, Service Desks and Network/Security Operations Centers
- Previous experience providing technical leadership for complex IT programs, managing a geographically dispersed and diverse delivery teams, and managing within an outcome-focused performance-based management environment
- Understanding of holistic enterprise IT implementations, including networks, data centers, cloud, applications and operational capabilities
- Proven driver of IT program innovation, forward thinking, and ability to connect with in country governmental customer
- Over 5 years’ experience with applying Federal/Commercial System Integrator’s Implementation Methodologies
- Over 3 years’ experience with secure DevOps automation capabilities for managing the full lifecycle of infrastructure, platforms, applications and networks
- Fluent written and verbal communicator in Spanish in public sector IT settings
- PMP and ITIL V3 or V4 certifications
- Experience supporting Enterprise IT and integration contracts with a strong understanding of border security missions
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Other Clearance
Travel:Yes, 75% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.