Leidos is looking for a qualified candidate to join a dynamic team environment supporting the International Space Station Cargo Mission Contract. The ideal candidate will serve as the System Safety Engineer. Working under the guidance of seasoned professionals, this candidate will learn how to perform hazard analysis and failure modes analysis associated with mechanisms, structures, materials, operations, mechanical/electrical systems, etc. The candidate will document the analysis results and learn how to identify means of controlling the risks to render them non-credible for ground and flight operations. Additionally, the position will perform integrated bag level hazard analysis to identify and mitigate hazards created by multiple items being packed together.
- Develops data products including 906/907 Safety Certifications, Integrated Bag level Hazard Assessments (IBLHA), Safety Data packs (SDP), and Hazard Reports (HR), and presents the data to customers for review and approval
- Coordinates with other hardware providers including International Partners and Civil Servants and Contractors at various NASA centers including MSFC, GSFC, JSC, KSC to ensure requirements compliance and work integrated safety hazards to completion
- Interfaces with CMC Engineering to analyze and recommend safety criteria in system design, equipment, and procedures to control or eliminate hazards to spaceflight crew.
- Identifies safety controls and tracks to closure
- Evaluates the interrelationship of system safety requirements with designers, analysts, and others to develop requirements that ensure adherence to NASA safety requirements.
- Coordinates the resolution of safety and/or hardware issues as well as being a point of contact for all aspects of a particular product or vehicle flight.
- Performs Reliability assessments and develops Initial Assessments of Criticality (IAC) to determine criticality of flight hardware.
- Coordinates IAC with R&MWG and obtains approvals at program level.
- Requires strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to manage multiple projects while meeting schedule and technical milestones.
- Must be able to effectively work in a team environment and interface with both internal and external customers.
Bachelor’s degree in an engineering discipline or related field, industrial engineering with an emphasis in System Safety is a plus. Science disciplines are also acceptable. 2-5 years’ experience in a System Safety engineering capacity.
- Experience with Flight Electrical and Mechanical hardware
- Knowledge of SSP 30599 Safety Review Process, SSP 51721 ISS Safety Requirements, and SSP 30234 ISS R&M Requirements.
- Strong communication skills
- Has the ability to interface with customers and effectively manage technical issues to resolution.
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Public Trust
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.