The US Government uses sensor systems to solve many complex problems to protect our warfighters and gather information on threats to our national interest. The Leidos Innovations Center (LInC) performs sensor systems research and development (R&D) to create innovative one-of-a-kind solutions to these complex Customer needs.
LInC has an opportunity for a Sensor Systems Lead to join our team in San Diego, CA, to work on the research, design, development and test of advanced sensing systems ranging from small hand-held devices to satellite hosted data acquisition payloads.
The position involves providing technical leadership to a team of scientists and engineers during full life-cycle development of sensing systems to meet customer driven mission requirements and objectives, from concept development through delivery and support of operationally deployed systems. This includes:
- Customer and end-user engagement to identify missions, development of marketing materials and identifying proposal opportunities
- Proposal development, including developing design concepts, technical writing, project planning, cost estimation, market surveys and developing subcontractor and teaming agreements
- Regular reporting to Leidos management
- Requirements analysis and decomposition, consistent with Leidos engineering practices and processes and performing risk assessment, configuration management
- Systems architecture definition and design – including diagramming, data flows, identification of candidate technologies and components
- Development of technical components, including harvesting of research products and analyses
- Constructing, overseeing, and participating in test activities to assess performance and verify compliance with requirements
- Presentation of technical concepts, system-level design, and system performance to customers
The position also requires sufficient technical experience and experience to directly perform technical development and analysis of data from seismic, acoustic, magnetic, EO, IR and/or radiological sensors. This includes algorithm development and/or software prototyping as necessary to meet the responsibilities listed above.
- Must be U.S. Citizen.
- Must have a Masters or PhD in a physical science or engineering discipline with at least 15 years’ experience in the research and development of sensor or sensor exploitation technologies.
- Must have experience in the capture of new work through proposal development and must have experience in the technical management and oversight of advanced R&D programs.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a TS/SCI Clearance.
- A working knowledge and familiarity with Matlab at functional level and hands-on development experience in all phases of the system life-cycle are preferred.
- Experience with DARPA and DHS customers is a preferred and experience with Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, cloud processing and software deployment is desired.
- An active TS or TS//SCI Clearance is desired.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:2000.00
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Secret
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Systems Engineering
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.