Leidos is seeking a talented Senior Security Engineer to join our team to support a federal customer within the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Enterprise Security Operations Center (ESOC). The Senior Security Engineer provides support across a progressing agile team environment focused on supporting the ESOC Operations mission. The Senior Engineer will support the full system engineering life-cycle, including requirements analysis, design, development, integration, scripting, programming, test, documentation, and implementation following defined best practices and operational workflows. This role will engage in infrastructure solution design and architecture, information assurance, advisory, compliance, and risk management support.
- Conceptualize, design, build, and maintain current and future NOSC supported tools and platforms
- Manage multiple assignments, changing priorities, and work independently with little oversight
- Support all support, guidance and develop processes to evaluate and improve all operating systems, hardware support, software, firmware solutions and provide advisement concerning future purchase of the same
- Work closely with senior engineers, other team members, and application owners to solve technical problems at the network, system and application levels
- Conduct periodic architectural reviews of installed sensors to assess effectiveness and propose optimal installation alternatives as required
- Conduct network security architecture reviews to determine the size, and placement of intrusion monitoring equipment during the customer onboarding process
- Draft technical documentation, reports, and presentations as needed for customer or internal use.
- Resolve Linux system errors and crashes, disk space problems, huge file system and full disk errors
- Implement and troubleshoot Linux network services such as NFS, NTP, FTP, SSH, DNS, and STIG them using DISA guidelines
- Configure LDAP server and LDAP client on Linux machines for authorization and authentication
- Experience in backend solution, day to day system admin and monitoring, file system management and disk management and creation of shell scripts for the automation of tasks and the extraction of logs
- Hardware and software installations, upgrades, maintenance, security analysis and network performance and tuning of Linux servers in a virtual infrastructure
- Develop solutions to complex technical issues
- Provide follow-up reports (technical findings, feedback, resolution steps taken) for Root Cause analysis, engineering technical assessment and process improvement initiatives
- Provide training and documentation for the rest of the team to follow and understand
- Review and approve documentation and diagrams created by IT team members (e.g., system specifications). Writes documentation, including technical standards and processes
- Communicate with project manager on a frequent basis. Identifies tasks and issues that may have an impact on service levels or schedules. Provides realistic task and cost estimates
- Maintains a current and working knowledge of IT development methodology, architecture design, and technical standards. Mentors IT staff and identifies training needs. As new standards are instituted, ensures their usage by team members
- Communicates with other technical leads, IT groups, and clients so they understand the project's technical implications, dependencies, and potential conflicts. Evaluates the impacts of change requests on own/shared technologies and effectively persuades and influences others on ideas
- Bachelor's degree and a minimum of 8 years of experience in system administration, database administration, network engineering, software engineering, or software development, with a concentration in Cybersecurity
- Experience installing, configuring, securing, and troubleshooting CentOS, RHEL, or Ubuntu Linux Administration
- Extensive automation experience with PowerShell and Shell Scripting for automating Linux installs
- Experience mentoring junior personnel
- Extensive knowledge of DELL (Power Edge) and other Enterprise Servers
- Extensive knowledge of Ansible, Satellite, and VMWare ESXi/VCenter
- Network experience and understanding with the following: TCP/IP, NIS, NFS, DNS, DHCP, FTP/TFTP, SSH, SFTP, ARP
- Experience with storage tools such as NAS (NFS, SAMBA, RAID 0/1/5/6/10) and SAN (iSCSI, FiberChannel)
- Experience with Hyper-Converged Infrastructure (HCI)
- Cloud and virtualization skills, particularly MWare virtualization – Understanding of cloud terminology, architecture, and tools to include installing, provisioning and monitoring.
- Strong capabilities to assist with automating manual installation and maintenance/patching tasks and utilization of such tools as provisioning environments with Ansible
- Strong technical, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Superior attention to detail with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent problem solving, research, and follow-up skills
- Self-motivation and ability to work independently
- Experience working with FireEye or Firepower
- Experience working in an Agile development environment
- Department of Homeland Security NOSC employees are required to obtain an Entry on Duty (EOD) clearance to support this program
- Candidate must, at a minimum, have one of these certifications: GCUX: GIAC Certified Unix Security Administrator, Linux+ (CompTIA Linux+ Powered by LPI), LPI (Linux Professional Institute) Certifications, Oracle Linux OCA or OCP, Oracle Linux 6 Certified Implementation Specialist Certification, or Red Hat RHCSA, RHCE, CISSP,CCNP, CCIE Security, CEH, MCSE
- An active TS/SCI security clearance
- Experience automating management tasks with Ansible, Puppet, or Chef
- Experience with Gigamon or Suricata
- Experience working in AWS and Azure
- Experience developing in Bash, Python, YAML
- Experience working with SIEM tools such as Splunk
- Knowledge of CASB or Zscalar is a plus
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:5000
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:Top Secret/SCI
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Security Architecture and Engineering
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.