Battery Energy Storage Expert – Boston, MA or Denver, CO
Leidos Engineering has an opportunity for a Battery Energy Storage Application Engineer/Consultant Subject Matter Expert with primary responsibility being knowledge of technical and commercial aspects of utility-scale and commercial & industrial (C&I) battery energy storage systems (“BESS”), client development, and BESS technology reviews. The candidate is expected to work in a team setting to support project managers during transactional due diligence.
Primary responsibilities and duties involve providing subject matter expertise in BESS technology, design, project execution, operation, and associated market applications to support independent engineering and owner’s advisory services for clients.
Other duties may include assisting the team in support of managing projects, developing sales proposals, and technology reviews.
• Undergraduate degree in engineering required, with MBA and/or advanced degree in engineering, finance, business, or related management area preferred.
• A minimum of 8+ years of experience related to battery energy storage with at least 3+ years as an application engineer for BESS. Experience with lithium-ion, flow batteries, and knowledge of new battery technology is preferred.
• Commercial or project experience with construction and O&M contracts and contractors for utility-scale and C&I battery storage projects.
• Understanding of battery and BESS market trends in technology, capital and operating costs, major suppliers, and market applications.
• Deep understanding of major components of BESS including battery cells, battery modules, battery racks, battery management systems, power conversion systems, thermal management concepts and designs, BESS safety features, industry certifications, energy management and control systems, and system integration considerations.
• An understanding of and familiarity with BESS performance requirements and guarantees including energy augmentation concepts required for supporting energy degradation guarantees.
• First principles understanding in battery degradation, and project-level useful life.
• Excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Expertise in BESS performance modeling concepts.
• Ability to work independently or as part of a team.
• Ability to successfully meet deadlines under pressure. Clients will include private equity, infrastructure, and hedge funds, investment and commercial banks, private developers, legal and financial advisors, original equipment providers, DOE, and EIA.
• Successful track record maintaining client relations and working with clients (both internal and external).
• The job may require as much as 10 percent travel, including international travel, and can periodically include weeks with extended work hours to support client(s) needs (can be typically 50 hour weeks).
• Working knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel.
• Foreign language skills are a plus
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Management Consulting
Pay Range:Pay Range $91,000.00 - $140,000.00 - $189,000.00
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.