This is where your legacy begins! The Leidos Innovations Center currently has an opening for a Scientist / Senior Scientist - Biology to work in our San Diego, California office. We are seeking a broadly trained and highly motivated biologist for advanced technology programs focused on molecular biology, biochemistry, and genetics / genomics. This is a highly dynamic and integrative environment in which talented and creative scientists can thrive working on a diverse array of multidisciplinary projects. The group has an immediate need for someone with strong Molecular, Biochemical and Synthetic Biology laboratory and analytical skills as well as experience in mammalian- and/or microbial cell-based protein expression and characterization.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the conceptualization and development of novel applications in support of government-funded efforts in the areas of microbial engineering, prokaryotic and eukaryotic protein expression, synthetic and systems biology.
- Develop novel countermeasures against chemical and biological threat agents
- Develop novel molecular and genomics-based methods for the detection of exposure to biological and/or chemical agents.
- Effectively communicate research in team meetings, progress reports, peer-reviewed publications, and patents.
- Quickly adapt to evolving research needs, rapidly acquire new scientific knowledge and stay informed on new technologies.
- Work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team consisting of biologists, chemists, mathematicians, statisticians, and engineers. Lead Candidates should follow sound scientific practices and maintain effective documentation of activities and analyses.
- Qualified candidates should have a Masters degree and 6+ years of experience (additional experience will be considered)
- The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. in Biology, Microbiology, or related discipline with technical experience (experience obtained during graduate or postdoctoral work can be counted towards total years of experience)
- U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance
- Laboratory skills: Microbial cultivation, characterization and identification, microbiome analysis and engineering, nucleic acid extraction/purification/quantification, experience with sample preparation methods for NGS, mammalian cell culturing, cloning, and cell transformation/transfection
- Team oriented with excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with people from diverse areas and disciplines
- Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration
- Synthetic Biology experience
- Heterologous protein expression (mammalian and/or bacterial systems), protein purification, and characterization
- Protein engineering Experience with NGS processing and analysis
- Genome editing using modern tools, such as CRISPR/Cas9
- RNA-based therapeutics
- Experience with genetics/epigenetics
- Possess US Government Security Clearance
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.