Are you passionate about helping to transform the energy industry? Leidos enables utilities to keep pace with this ever-changing market while also reliably and efficiently generating and delivering energy.
As a Senior Substation Physical Engineer within Leidos’ Power Delivery Services organization, you will support large-scale projects that will address electric energy use, improve system reliability, and other generation resources to customers throughout the western United States.
Are you ready to make an impact? Begin your journey of a flourishing and meaningful career; share your resume with us today! Keep reading!
In this role, you can expect to grow by:
- Engineer in Training Certificate (EIT)
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Project Management Professional (PMP)
- Technical & non-technical training opportunities
- Mentorship Program
In this role, you can also expect to gain
- NESC expertise
- Electrical Power Calculations
- Interactions with other disciplines(Substation, Protection & Controls, and Civil Structural)
As a Substation Physical Engineer you will work as a member of a dynamic team within our Commercial Energy Solutions organization; specifically our Power Delivery Services (PDS) division: an established group of electric utility engineering consultants that solve challenging substation engineering problems for our utility clients Nation-wide.
What you will bring to the table:
- B.S. or M.S. degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited university
- 12 plus years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a B.S. degree
- 10-13 years of prior relevant experience in utility substation engineering with a M.S. degree
- Prior experience performing QC reviews and staff training/mentorship
- Experience with serving as firm-client liaison in a support and lead engineering role
- Must demonstrate advocacy of Quality Assurance and Control in the field of substation engineering
- Comprehensive understanding of the utility grid (power generation, transmission and distribution) system and the theories and principles involved in substation engineering
In this role the qualified individual will be expected to:
- Report to the Lead Project Engineer.
- Responsible for the day-to-day execution of projects within the substation physical team: project execution, adhering to budgets and schedules, peer quality review, and mentorship; with some client interaction and business development assistance.
- Prepare and review proposals, technical write-ups and project approach documents for small, medium and large projects. This includes preparation and review of comprehensive project scopes of work and accurate man-hour estimates.
- Develop project schedules using common software (MS Project, Primavera, etc.) in support of proposal development.
- Provide technical training to junior staff by preparing presentations and workshops and conducting one-on-one meetings to assist with their technical growth.
- Lead and/or perform Substation Physical Electrical engineering design (including general arrangement, electrical plans and sections, grounding plan and details, raceway plan and details, shielding plan and details, lighting plan and details, etc.) at HV and EHV voltage levels while adhering to prevailing standards, practices, procedures and project/program requirements.
- Lead and/or conduct substation engineering studies and calculations (including bus spans, shielding, lighting, conduit fill, AC/DC loading and system design, etc.).
- Provide professional mentorship while setting and maintaining a positive professional example for the team and junior staff.
- Understand and apply industry standards, applicable state and federal safety codes, regulatory compliance requirements and construction codes to projects.
- Create equipment, material, construction and testing and commissioning specifications.• Perform quality control (QC) reviews and lead QC review meetings on applicable engineering deliverables produced by junior staff, peers and remote offices on small, medium and large projects while adhering to the PDS quality management standard.
- Provide technical oversight, direction and support for project teams.
- Assure proper documentation of project technical data.
- Ensure and facilitate project team collaboration and communication across all disciplines and resolve design conflicts as required.
- Coordinate with project managers to successfully deliver projects to our clients.
- Direct and/or participate in client meetings and job-site visits to collect and deliver design and engineering information.
- Identify and resolve project-related issues while proactively communicating and collaborating with the client.
- Complete conceptual design (one-line and general layout) to support project planning.
- Support Leidos’ company goals and represent the company positively and professionally.
• Comprehensive understanding of industry standards (including NEC, NESC, NEMA, IEEE/ANSI) and their application to projects
• Competence in researching engineering and design issues, evaluating alternatives, making sound recommendations and preparing and presenting recommendations
• Understand the “big picture” approach as well as the importance of “Attention To Details”
• Ability to meet deadlines under high pressure situations
• Team player who can work effectively in team environment with an ability to deal with and lead a variety of individuals from various socio-economic, cultural and ethnic backgrounds
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Strong organizational skills
• High level of computer competency
• Proficiency with using MS Office applications
• Ability to travel up to 10% of the time
• Registered Professional Engineer (PE)
• Experience with substation physical and protection and control design
• Experience with engineering programs and software (including SKM, ASPEN, ETAP, CDEGS or vendor software)
• Construction support experience
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:5000
Potential for Telework:Yes, 75%
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 25% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Electrical Engineering
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.