Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
Leidos is seeking a Materials Scientist to join our research support team at the US Department of Energy National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) in Albany, OR through our Workforce Development program. The successful candidate will focus on developing affordable, durable, cost effective, heat-resistant alloys necessary for improving the existing fleet of Fossil Energy (FE) power plants, and enabling advanced FE systems, such as advanced ultra-supercritical (A-USC) Rankine cycles, supercritical carbon dioxide (sCO2) power cycles, etc. Efforts within this FWP focus on developing improved steels, superalloys, and other advanced alloys using an integrated materials engineering approach that incorporates computational alloy design-with best practice manufacturing (modified as needed to achieve microstructure and performance objectives) using focused mechanical testing and characterization.
TERM OF COMMITMENT: This research position is intended to be a term position, with varying levels of commitment that are not expected to last longer than 1 year. You will be informed prior to applying what length of commitment is anticipated. Also, those who successfully fill a term position, may be invited to apply for an additional term. Nothing in this paragraph is intended to create an employment contract. Employment will remain at will. Driven by our talented workforce, the Integrated Missions Operation builds trust through an array of energy-related IT, environmental science and engineering solutions to meet our customers’ needs.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
- Conduct Structural Alloy design and development
- Perform Melts of NI, FE, or Al based alloys
- Perform SEM, EDS and Microscopy and do image analysis
- Conduct mechanical testing and analysis for structure-property relationship of Ni, Fe or Al alloys
- Period status reporting and project reports (weekly/monthly/quarterly/annually) are required to update project managers and clients
- This position will require extensive interface with principal investigators, clients and potential collaborative partners, so excellent verbal and written communication skills are required.
- Meeting task requirements of NETL and Leidos research managers in attaining goals established for the NETL team and RIC programs as delineated in the statements of work pertaining to funding awards supporting this position.
- Provide R&D technical support for the NETL team.
- Active participation in group meetings as well as other task related meetings.
- Analyzing results in relation to experimental data from laboratory tests and published data from other authors.
- Assisting in the preparation of technical papers, reports, conference papers, and annual and quarterly reports.
- Presenting the results of the research at technical conferences and publishing in archival journals.
- Presenting technical findings during regular team meetings as well as at workshops and professional conferences.
Required Education and Experience:
- Master’s or PhD degree in Materials Science, Physics, Chemistry, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, or a related field with a thesis focusing on computational modeling and/or machine learning.
- 1+ years of prior relevant experience with a focus on computational chemistry and physics. Total post-graduate experience must be under two years.
- Experience with structural alloy design and development
- Experience with melting of Ni, Fe or Al based alloys
- Hands-on experience using SEM, EDS and optical microscopy including image analysis
- Experience with hot deformation processes and deformation mechanisms
- Experience with mechanical testing and analysis for structure-property relationship of Ni, Fe or Al alloys
- Knowledge on heat treatment of alloys and effect on microstructure
- Excellent oral and written communication and interpersonal skills, and teamwork.
- Ability to gain access to customer site
- Hands-on experience with computational materials design (such as phase diagrams)
- Hands-on experience with EBSD
- Experience with TEM data analysis
- Experience with induction melting
External Referral Bonus:Ineligible
External Referral Bonus $:
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Research Scientist
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.