The Leidos Civil Group is looking for a Public Affairs Outreach Specialist professional to support our Communications Support Services contract with the Office of Justice Programs (OJP), U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ). Office of Justice Program is a federal agency that provides federal leadership, grants, training, technical assistance and other resources to improve the nation’s capacity to prevent and reduce crime, assist victims and enhance the rule of law by strengthening the criminal and juvenile justice systems. Its six program offices support state and local crime-fighting efforts, fund thousands of victim service programs, help communities manage sex offenders, address the needs of youth in the system and children in danger, and provide vital research and data. This position will support OJP’s Bureau of Justice Assistance (BJA).
- Develop and foster longstanding relationships with select third-party publications and media outlets to which government client should regularly contribute.
- Collaborate with Bureau of Justice Assistance staff, as appropriate, to repackage storytelling content into media outreach and materials.
- Proactively research, pitch, and draft press releases on newsworthy and priority programs, initiatives, and activities.
- Proactively research, pitch, draft, and submit op-eds and letters to the editor.
- Develop and produce press kits and background materials.
- Create dissemination plans for press releases, press kits, and other materials.
- Perform daily media monitoring of news coverage on Bureau of Justice Assistance and related areas of interest.
- Develop media pitches and conduct media outreach and follow-up.
- Proactively pitch ideas, such as Bureau of Justice Assistance -hosted media events and activities.
Please Note: This is a full-time remote position, but the candidate must be able to attend occasional meetings in person in Washington, D.C. and/or Gaithersburg, MD. We prefer one to be residing currently in Gaithersburg, MD OR Washington, DC OR Virginia / DC metro area.
- Five (5) years of directly relevant work experience in public affairs, public relations, media, or communications.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Excellent writing skills.
- Proven ability to network and form partnerships.
- Ability to obtain and/or maintain Public Trust security clearance.
- Strong writer with ability to create content for a variety of news and media outlets.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Excellent attention to detail, good organizational skills.
- Ability to handle multiple projects on tight deadlines.
- A creative thinker who thrives in a fast changing environment.
- Flexibility to adapt to changing/evolving client needs.
- Proficient in MS Office Suite.
- Self-starter who is a team player, and can work independently when required.
As part of the Leidos team, you will work with an experienced group of communications professionals who are dedicated to supporting our government clients. If you are interested in working with the federal government, and experts in criminal justice, have a desire to contribute to making a difference in communities, and want to be part of an innovative and creative marketing and communications team, this job is for you. At Leidos, you will work in a fast-paced and diverse environment, enjoy flexible work arrangements, and will have a management team that encourages your career development and growth.
Leidos is a Fortune 500™ company aimed at embracing and solving some of the world’s most pressing challenges.
Through science and technology, Leidos makes the world safer, healthier and more efficient.
Pay Range:Pay Range $71,500.00 - $110,000.00 - $148,500.00
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.