The National Airspace Systems Integration Support (NISC) program at Leidos is seeking a Mechanical Engineer to provide support to the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) located in Des Plaines, IL.
The ideal candidate will support the daily operations of the FAA Central Service Area (CSA) Engineering Services Terminal Team.
Duties include but are not limited to the following:
- The candidate will perform all duties necessary to help produce complete design packages for the Terminal Replacement and Modernization Programs. The candidate will develop site-specific project engineering packages in accordance with national and FAA standards on assigned projects based on scoping documents. The candidate will produce engineering design drawings, detailed work plans, project material requirements, cost estimates, project schedules, and other items as required.
- The candidate will participate in site surveys to determine site requirements, operating parameters, site-specific issues, and assist with development and review of project scope. The candidate will ensure proper completion of all necessary drawings by providing markups and drawing specifications to the Computer Aided Engineering Graphics (CAEG) group.
- The candidate will provide mechanical engineering support to other designers to ensure quality and completeness of designs. Support will include, but is not be limited to, document review, consultations, and interpretation of requirements and regulations. The candidate will ensure that all design drawings are complete and revisions made before drawings are placed into a solicitation for bid. The candidate will perform all necessary inspections and collect all data necessary to produce a complete design package.
- The candidate will make inspection visits to FAA facilities, monitor contractor progress, evaluate and review design submittals for completeness and accuracy and make all necessary design comments and corrections required.
- The candidate will track and update project implementation schedules for assigned projects/programs. Monitor project implementation and ensure projects are implemented according to drawings and specifications. The candidate will conduct reviews of technical submittals and documentation, and will require site visits to verify installation and schedule compliance. The candidate will provide mechanical engineering assistance in support of project installation, implementation, and integration. This will include: Issue resolution and troubleshooting installation problems.
- The candidate must maintain a site-specific project status for site preparation and equipment installation problems and answer contractor Requests for Information (RFIs). The candidate will assist in the preparation of change order scopes of work and estimates.
- The candidate will make periodic site visits to FAA facilities projects to inspect work in place and evaluate contractor progress, provide written punch list of noncompliant items, and perform an evaluation of project close out documentation and procedures. The candidate will verify that As-built drawings are correct and that manuals, spare parts, training, and monitoring services comply with contract requirements and advise the project team of mechanical engineering concerns throughout construction.
Professional Qualifications: The candidate for this position shall be a qualified Mechanical Engineer and shall have three to five years of practical experience in the design and installation of HVAC equipment and systems, pumps, engines, fuel transport, and other building systems. The candidate shall have demonstrated knowledge and experience in the use of nationally recognized codes, standards, and criteria involved with the design and the installation of mechanical systems during construction of facilities.
Planning/Project Management: Conduct efficient, organized data gathering and data analysis, must be able to develop project plans, establish project schedules, project estimates and conduct requirements studies.
Communications: Must accomplish clear and concise general and technical writing, prepare and conduct effective technical presentations, provide thorough project monitoring and reporting, and tactfully coordinate with a variety of project stake holders, peers and management levels.
Computer Applications: Competent with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint. Capable of learning and applying Corporate Work Plan (CWP) applications, KSN (Knowledge Service Network), ProjectWise database and can use the Internet as a data gathering and communicating tool.
Organization: Provides organized documentation, and has an awareness of general documentation systems.
Typically requires BS degree and 4 8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2 - 6 years of prior relevant experience.
• Bachelors’ Degree in Engineering, preferably Mechanical Engineering and 4 – 8 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2 – 6 years of prior relevant experience or equivalent.
• Ability to obtain a Public Trust Clearance.
• Ability to travel up to 10% of the time.
• Prior FAA experience desired.
• Knowledge/Experience of Airports desired.
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:1000
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Mechanical Engineering
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.