Leidos is looking for a talented and experienced Lead Software Developer with multi-discipline skills to join a large, dynamic program in Rockville/Gaithersburg, Maryland. The candidate will work on a small, highly skilled team developing and delivering mission critical applications and infrastructure, working on the Federal Aviation Administration’s En-Route Automation Modernization ERAM) technology, which is the heart of the Next Generation Air Transportation System and the pulse of the National Airspace System. ERAM is committed to assisting the FAA customer advance our transition from a ground-based system of air traffic control to a satellite-based system of air traffic management.
ERAM is also vital to the future of air navigation, providing the foundation for NexGen functions.
Lead Software Developer Responsibilities:
• Interface with Software Architect & customers to collect, communicate, and understand requirements.
• Design and develop web applications from determining business requirements to planning and deploying test and production systems
• Maintain, develop and implement policies and procedures for ensuring the security and integrity of the web servers.
• Maintain, develop and implement performance tuning of the web servers.
• Coordinates web server architecture changes with cross-orgs engineers.
• Perform software life-cycle activities to ensure highest level of system performance and availability and compliance with business requirements.
• Meet expected deadlines so to ensure continued performance of systems.
• Supports application design by contributing expertise to applications, operations, and technical teams.
• Design and develop logical and physical database designs from customer requirements
• Update job knowledge by participating in educational/training/mentoring activities. Provide mentorship to group members and help develop and support mid and junior level staff.
• Accomplishes information systems and organization mission by completing related results as needed.
• Infrequently apply production changes during non-peak hours and support critical issues that arise during off hours.
• Requires Bachelors of Science in Computer Science or similar field with a minimum of 4+ years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 2+ years of prior relevant experience
• Self-starter that is able to work independently while possessing the communication skills to work effectively with software development teams, internal customers, and external customers.
• Familiar with managing database and web server infrastructure through the entire lifecycle from design/development through delivery and operational support.
• Provide highly technical expertise in providing business application solutions.
• Ability to work under minimal supervision, have the ability to multi-task and adapt to change, and possess strong organizational and communication skills. Additionally, the candidate
• Highly motivated, very detailed oriented, creative, effective, supportive, talented and a self-starter with the ability to take ownership of assigned tasks, independently determine the approach to fixing problems, coach junior engineers through solutions, and push to closure on scheduled milestones.
• At least 3 years’ experience provisioning and managing web servers, including Nginx and Tomcat
• At least 5 years’ experience developing software using either Ruby or Groovy
• At least 3 years’ experience developing web applications using either Rails, Grails, or JPA
• Must be US Citizen or US Permanent Resident (Green card holder)
• Must be able to obtain and maintain a US Public Trust clearance
Proficient in SQL, HTML, CSS, Java, Groovy, Ruby, Python, Rails, Grails, Hibernate, JPA, Database Management, Data Maintenance, Decision Making, Problem Solving, Process Improvement, Requirements Analysis, Attention to Detail, Database Security, Developing Standards, Database Performance Tuning, Operating Systems
• Experience with MySQL Database Administration
• Experience with data architecture, logical and physical design, reporting and analysis
• Experience with database tuning to accommodate complex queries against large databases with more than a million records
• Experience with designing disaster recovery strategies and backup and archival processes
• Experience with designing access and control policies
• Experience with database clustering strategies
• Knowledge of cloud services and data storage
• Familiar with Database Security Accreditation processes
• Experience with Amazon Web Services (AWS) and/or Cloud Data Warehouse
• Experience with provisioning and managing Jetty
• Desirable experience with administering and customizing Atlassian tools
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.