Are you interested in improving and shaping the transportation industry in a group of intelligent and motivated individuals? This Leidos team operates FHWA’s Saxton Transportation Operations Laboratory (STOL), a USDOT research lab focused on the improvement of transportation operations, safety, mobility, and environmental impacts. STOL provides a variety of services to support the advancement and deployment of emerging technologies, including vehicle automation and communication.
To support these goals, Leidos is hiring a Simulation Software Engineer to work in McLean, Virginia as part of a team of researchers in developing the latest automated vehicle technology as a key part of the Leidos team supporting the Federal Highway Administration’s (FHWA’s) cutting-edge research. This work involves development and maintenance of various back end systems for such things as roadside data collection and storage, web mapping tools, communications and data transfer, simulation, and data analysis, as well as work on vehicle on-board software for automation and connectivity.
Location: Fulltime in the lab, in McLean, VA
The software engineer will be part of a team of developers writing and extending a variety of applications and components in support of transportation research, including connected vehicles and human factors. We are part of a larger research team in a relaxed, laboratory environment that pushes the boundaries of connected and autonomous vehicle technology for the FHWA for purposes of demonstrating capabilities associated with vehicle-to-vehicle and vehicle-to-infrastructure communication that will support the larger Intelligent Transportation System initiatives. We also study human factors, such as a driver’s ability to recognize and react to various situations, including interaction with automated vehicles. Software assignments may include rendering of visual scenes; control of automated vehicles; communications with network or hardware devices including radios; guidance algorithms; data collection, display, storage and retrieval, and data analysis; web applications for data entry, status reporting or control; simulation development, integration and operation; data parsing and composition; database operations and data warehousing; and public web site operations.
This person will play a significant role in implementing, adopting and evaluating Vehicle-to-anything (V2X) and Automated Driving System (ADS) simulation technologies developed both in-house and by others.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Required Education & Experience:
- Bachelors in computer science, engineering or other science discipline (e.g., transportation engineering) with 4+ years’ experience developing software OR Master's degree in computer science, engineering or other science discipline (e.g., transportation engineering) with 2+ years’ experience developing software
- Experience with C++
- Working knowledge of UML design language
- Valid driver’s license in the US
- Ability to obtain and maintain a Public Trust security clearance
- Hands-on experience with traffic simulation tools like SUMO, Vissim, Aimsun, TransModeler or similar
- Hands-on experience with vehicle dynamic and sensor simulation tools, such as CARLA, LGSVL, CARSIM, CARMaker or similar
- Hands-on experience with communication simulation tools like NS-3, OMNET++, NetSim, OPNET, Matlab or similar
- Experience with HD maps and tools such as Roadrunner
- Experience with creating 3D maps for 3D simulator, such as CARLA
- Understanding of communication protocols – TCP/UDP, SNMP
- Knowledge of IP concepts, techniques and common practices (e.g. working with sockets, internal vs external IP addressing, routing, etc)
- Familiarity with publish/subscribe architecture patterns such as ROS and DDS
- Familiarity with concepts of co-simulation or co-simulation frameworks (FMI/HLA/MOSAIC)
- Experience with Robot Operating System (ROS)
- Knowledge of standard vehicle electronic systems
- Experience with Git, Maven, Gradle, Docker and continuous integration
- Experience with software development for AR and VR technology
- Experience with cloud computing
As part of a close team, the engineer will need to:
- Be a good team player and be able to give and take critical feedback on work products
- Help to coach and guide less experienced engineers
- Communicate clearly in English, both orally and in writing
- Be prompt, schedule-conscious, and able to focus on the work at hand
- Be coachable and open to self-discovery and professional improvement
- Be quality-conscious and carry a sense of pride in their work
- Work hard for the team’s success
Systems of interest relate to the following:
- V2X communication hardware, software and standards
- Vehicle dynamic simulations and multi-resolution co-simulation
- Vehicle automation and cooperation
- Sensor fusion and perception
- Traffic simulation
- Driving simulator
- 3D and HD mapping
- Data visualization
- Traffic operations
- Intelligent transportation systems.
- Augmented reality (AR) and Virtual reality (VR)
- Cloud computing and cloud based simulation
External Referral Bonus:Eligible
External Referral Bonus $:$2000
Potential for Telework:No
Clearance Level Required:None
Travel:Yes, 10% of the time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:40
Job Family:Software Engineering
Please note that effective October 1, to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos business events outside of our facilities, employees, vendors, subcontractors, and visitors will be required to be vaccinated or maintain proof of a weekly negative COVID-19 test. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated or able to show negative COVID-19 test results to access facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected]idos.com.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.