Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainable. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business. Your greatest work is ahead!
The Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) is seeking a Machine Learning Geo-Scientist to join our Team in Albany, Pittsburgh, PA or Morgantown, WV. This opportunity will allow side by side execution of research with world-class scientists and engineers using state of the art equipment to contribute to new areas of basic and applied research.
The employee will participate in studies relating to model development, workflow, and artificial intelligence/machine learning (AI/ML) algorithm design related to geospatial energy data. Additionally, the employee will be developing, managing, and integrating a variety of experimental and spatial and non-spatial datasets, including data visualization. This work will involve a multidisciplinary team participation alongside other data scientists, engineers, geologists, and computer scientists to help develop next-generation tools to understand offshore subsurface properties, hazards, oil platform infrastructure, and the priorities of the DOE Fossil Energy and Carbon Management mission space.
NETL Locations: Albany, OR; Pittsburgh, PA or Morgantown, WV
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
- Apply artificial intelligence/machine learning (AI/ML) methods to augment geospatial analysis and algorithm development
- Design a variety of supervised and unsupervised AI/ML algorithms that incorporate big, disparate, multivariate data
- Correctly and efficiently interpret AI/ML algorithm results
- Apply statistical and geostatistical analysis for a variety of energy related topics
- Develop, query, manage, and maintain contextual and spatial databases, and structure/restructure existing databases for a range of experimental and spatial uses
- Utilize Python (version 3+) to acquire, process, and analyze spatial and non-spatial multivariate data, as well as develop data analysis and visualization tools
- Collaborate with multidisciplinary group of science researchers to accomplish project tasks
- Build relationships with internal and external clients
- Create and deliver oral, poster presentations of results
- Effectively communicate scientific results through peer-review journal manuscripts and technical reports
- Master’s degree in applied computer science, machine learning, math, spatial statistics, geography, geo-statistics, geospatial science, computational geology or similar field
- Proficiency in Python for advancing coding needs, including using Python to automate AI/ML algorithms and build data visualization tools
- Evidence of innovation in statistical methods and algorithm development as applied to geospatial statistical problems
- Demonstrable skills in the application of statistical analyses, AI/ML algorithms, and other forms of multivariate analysis
- Understanding of and experience in spatial and/or subsurface topics
- Experience using ArcGIS Server and database software management systems like Microsoft Access, SQL Server, and PostgreSQL
- Experience with GIS (ArcGIS suite), spatial mapping, and spatial analysis
- Advanced degree and/or certifications in data science, machine learning, applied math, computer science, spatial statistics, geology, geography, geo-statistics, geospatial science, or similar field
- Background in geospatial statistics and applications to energy and environmental systems
- Familiarity with subsurface data, including well logs and seismic, and interpretation software (Petra, Petrel, etc.)
- Familiarity with producing training datasets for image recognition and extraction from text-based resources
- Familiarity with LabelIMG, You Only Look Once (YOLO), and tensor flow
- Experience in data labeling approaches to refine and build on current classification capabilities and support AI/ML big data analysis
- Evidence of substantive participation in the geospatial and/or subsurface geologic scientific community
Effective October 1, in order to enter Leidos facilities in the US and to attend Leidos business events outside our facilities, employees will be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. Effective December 8, all Leidos employees must be fully vaccinated (2 weeks past final dose) unless they are entitled to a legal accommodation. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.