Are you ready to join Leidos all-star team? Through training, teamwork, and exposure to challenging technical work, let Leidos show how to accelerate your career path.
The Leidos Innovation Center (LInC) Advanced Analytics team has an opening for a Natural Language Processing (NLP) Researcher Scientist with a background that spans the designing, implementing, and analysis of approaches that integrate, adapt, and extend novel capabilities to state-of-the-art technical challenges in competitive contract research and development (R&D) programs (basic and applied). Candidates with a background in computational linguistics, human language technology, machine translation, automated speech recognition, machine translation, linguistic data analysis, statistical programming, data science, proposal and technical writing, and experience participating in and leading multi-disciplinary teams of researchers and engineers are strongly preferred. Work is located in Arlington, VA.
We are looking for a research scientist with a specialization in NLP research to work with PhD- and MS-level colleagues to develop and implement approaches and solutions for contract research and development projects. The innovative technical approaches and solutions delivered to customers that advance the state of the art in the research while addressing long-term problems of importance to national security. The ideal candidate will have a proven track record of supporting all aspects of the program life cycle: supporting business development through the exploration of new research concepts and topics; contributing to the development of approaches and plans as part of the proposal process; playing a leading role as part of a multi-discipline project teams and supporting project execution objectives; and supporting the transition of impactful, novel capabilities to stakeholders and the communities of practice at the project’s conclusion.
• Working at the direction of a technical lead (e.g., PhD-level research scientist), the candidate will work independently on research and adapt the approaches and solutions as part of a large project addressing highly-complex research challenges. Recent, hands-on experience collecting, curating, and adapting and extending a range of analytics on natural language data extracted from multimodal sources.
• Contribute to the development of novel and innovative R&D approaches to solving challenges in the area of NLP and work with potential sponsors (customers or internal champions) to secure funding for new research efforts based on those topics
• Demonstrable, hands-on experience with data preparation and curation common to machine learning-based NLP tasks. Examples include data collection, exploration, formatting; dimension reduction; enhancing and improving data quality; and feature selection and engineering.
• Participate, and when the opportunity arises, demonstrate in leadership teams of fellow researchers, data scientists, data engineers, and software engineers to execute complex R&D programs.
To be successful in this role you need these skills (required):
• Master's degree (PhD desired) in computational linguistics, computer science, data science, or a related discipline, such as statistics or applied mathematics with at least 6 years of specialized experience innovating analytical techniques and performing analytical functions using machine-learning libraries or other approaches. 6 additional years of experience may be used in lieu of degree.
• Experience with a subfield of NLP such as computational linguistics, human language technologies, automatic speech recognition, machine translation
• Experience in the following areas: text processing and construction of corpora in unfamiliar languages; processing of large text collections with standard NLP tools for parsing, entity extraction, POS tagging, topic discovery and classification (such as sentiment analysis), and natural language understanding; tuning hyper-parameters of existing NLP models for domain-specific data sets; computational manipulation and analysis of natural language documents using statistical models; experimenting with large corpora for developing and testing advanced NLP algorithms.
• Ability to program in Python, Perl, or other scripting language; comfort with work in a Linux environment.
• Familiarity with common NLP and ML toolkits such as Stanford CoreNLP, OpenNLP, NLTK, scikit-learn, and Tensorflow.
• Knowledge of state-of-the-art methods coupled with the creativity and intelligence to advance beyond them. Track record of active learning and creative problem solving.
• Experience contributing to technical projects to successful completion.
• Able to achieve at least a Secret Security clearance
• Previous experience as a technical lead, such as a principal investigator on a project
• Experience as a technical contributor on projects for a competitive contract R&D customer, such as DARPA
• Publications/strong technical results in a specialized subfield of NLP and HLT
• Familiarity with collaboration environments (e.g. Jupyter notebooks, PyCharm)
• Prior experience with many of the following models in the context of NLP problems and data: Deep Learning (CNNs, RCNNs, LSTMs), GANs, Autoencoders, Reinforcement Learning, Siamese Networks, Logistic Regression, Linear Regression, Support Vector Machines, Hidden Markov Models, Conditional Random Fields, Latent Dirichlet Allocation.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world's toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, homeland security, civil, and health markets. The company's 32,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
External Referral Eligible
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.