The Leidos Health Group is seeking a Life Sciences Portfolio Director located in the Maryland area. This position will report to the Leidos Vice President, Health & Human Services (HHS).
The Life Sciences Portfolio Director will own full profit and loss responsibility for this rapidly growing business unit and will be accountable for scientific, technical and operational excellence in program performance as well as meeting and exceeding near, intermediate and long term top and bottom line growth targets for the overall portfolio. This portfolio supports work directly or indirectly across a broad range of life sciences focused customers including the National Institutes of Health (NIH), Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA), U.S. Army Medical Research and Development Command (MRDC), Defense Health Agency (DHA), commercial biotech and pharma and various HHS operating divisions. Its activities include virtual pharma delivery, scientific program management, scientific peer review systems and management, clinical trial management as well as the technology enablement and bioinformatics / data management services surrounding these activities. The candidate’s responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Meet and exceed revenue, profit and business growth targets.
- Provide integrated scientific, technical and operational leadership in driving long term growth of our life sciences business.
- Manage the delivery of outstanding performance across the entire portfolio of life sciences programs.
- Develop, shape and implement the strategic direction of the life sciences business to ensure that sustainable growth and enduring competitive differentiation can be achieved.
- Achieve mission success for all customers served.
- Drive business growth activities (including re-compete, new business and take away opportunities) in concert with the business development (BD) organization. Provide value-added engagement, oversight, and guidance into all aspects of BD and capture including pipeline creation, prioritization and execution.
- Manage budgets and investments (e.g., overhead expenses, marketing, bid and proposal, independent research and development) in an efficient manner in the successful delivery of financial results.
- Develop and nurture strong customer intimacy at the executive and program levels that facilitate achievement of both tactical and strategic growth designs.
- Provide life sciences program and subject matter support to Congressional activities.
- Provide thought leadership through speaking engagements and participation in key government and industry forums.
- Collaborate successfully with other Leidos business units that serve other HHS agencies and operating divisions such as the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) as well as non-HHS agencies such as the Department of Defense (DoD), commercial biotech and pharma etc. that all have integral roles in the delivery of life sciences capabilities in support of public health.
- Identify, recruit, lead and develop the personnel and teams that will deliver on both program performance and execution as well as growing the business.
- Perform special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in a scientific or technical discipline with 20+ years of increasing responsibility and relevant experience. PhD in a life sciences related field preferred. MBA is a plus.
- Previous P&L responsibility exceeding $50M revenue per year.
- Proven track record of being able to grow a business.
- Program Management experience running programs with total contract value greater than $100M is a plus.
- PMP / PMI certification.
- Experience with multiple contract types including FFP, T&M, cost plus, etc. and OTA’s.
- Superior verbal and written communication skills.
- Outstanding skills in crafting and making presentations to a variety of customer audiences, both internal and external.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively collaborate and work with supporting functions and other delivery organizations for win / win results.
- Proven team builder with high retention and proven successful program execution with sustained growth and high customer satisfaction.
- Experience collaborating with and directing a distributed team and managing multiple customers, programs, and projects as one collective portfolio.
- Ability to cycle back and forth seamlessly and effectively between scientific activities, business development and operational delivery.
- A leader who is driven, industrious, disciplined and dedicated who inspires the team and customers alike and is committed to inclusion and diversity.
Effective October 1, in order to enter Leidos facilities in the US and to attend Leidos business events outside our facilities, employees will be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. Effective December 8, all Leidos employees must be fully vaccinated (2 weeks past final dose) unless they are entitled to a legal accommodation. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.