This is where your legacy begins! The Leidos Innovations Center currently has an opening for a Scientist / Senior Scientist - Microbiology to work in our San Diego, California office. This is a highly dynamic and integrative environment in which talented and creative scientists can thrive working on a diverse array of multidisciplinary projects. We are seeking a highly motivated microbiologist for advanced technology programs focused on developing and optimizing synthetic biology tools for strain engineering of non-model organisms.
- Contribute to the conceptualization and development of novel applications in support of government-funded efforts in the areas of microbial engineering, protein expression, synthetic and systems biology.
- Design the metabolic and genetic biosynthetic pathways in target host organisms to optimize production of chemicals, enzymes, and other proteins
- Develop suitable cultivation conditions and assays for screening the performance of engineered microbes
- Design and clone DNA constructs using modern molecular biology techniques, such as Golden Gate Assembly, Gibson Assembly, etc.
- Effectively communicate research in team meetings, progress reports, peer-reviewed publications, and patents.
- Quickly adapt to evolving research needs, rapidly acquire new scientific knowledge and stay informed on new technologies.
- Work effectively as a member of an interdisciplinary team consisting of biologists, chemists, mathematicians, statisticians, and engineers. Lead candidates should follow sound scientific practices and maintain effective documentation of activities and analyses.
- Qualified candidates should have a Master’s degree and 6+ years of experience (additional experience will be considered)
- U.S. Citizen with the ability to obtain and maintain a Secret Security Clearance
- Experience with strain engineering of non-model organisms
- Experience with modern molecular biology techniques including PCR, DNA assembly and cloning (Golden Gate Assembly, Gibson Assembly, etc), plasmid isolation, and DNA sequencing, as well as with associated software for construct design and sequencing analysis (Snapgene, etc.)
- Bacterial transformation and conjugation techniques
- Experience with microbiological cultivation (including media preparation) and aseptic technique
- Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines and excellent multitasking skills
- Team oriented with excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to interact with people from diverse areas and disciplines
- The ideal candidate will have a Ph.D. in Biology, Microbiology, or related discipline with technical experience (experience obtained during graduate or postdoctoral work can be counted towards total years of experience)
- Candidates with these desired skills will be given preferential consideration
- Microbiome engineering
- Metagenomics and/or Metatranscriptomics data generation
- Experience with Next-generation sequencing processing and analysis
- Quantitative real-time PCR (qPCR) for gene expression analysis
- Genome editing using modern tools, such as CRISPR/Cas9
- Protein engineering
- Experience developing and optimizing synthetic biology tools in the areas of biosensors and cell-free systems
- Already possessing an active US Government Security Clearance
Covid Guidance for the US
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 44,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Beware of fake employment opportunities using Leidos’ name. Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information during any part of the employment application process (i.e., ask you for money), nor will Leidos ever advance money as part of the hiring process (i.e., send you a check or money order before doing any work). Further, Leidos will only communicate with you through emails that are generated by the Leidos.com automated system – never from free commercial services (e.g., Gmail, Yahoo, Hotmail) or via WhatsApp, Telegram, etc. If you received an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information (e.g., about you or your previous employer), and you are concerned about its legitimacy, please make us aware immediately by emailing us at [email protected].
If you believe you are the victim of a scam, contact your local law enforcement and report the incident to the U.S. Federal Trade Commission.
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.