Looking for an opportunity to make an impact?
At Leidos, we deliver innovative solutions through the efforts of our diverse and talented people who are dedicated to our customers’ success. We empower our teams, contribute to our communities, and operate sustainable. Everything we do is built on a commitment to do the right thing for our customers, our people, and our community. Our Mission, Vision, and Values guide the way we do business. Your greatest work is ahead!
The Leidos Research Support Team supporting the National Energy Technology Laboratory (NETL) is seeking a Machine Learning Data Research Scientist to join our Team in Albany, OR as part of our Workforce Development Program. This opportunity will allow side by side execution of research with world-class scientists and engineers using state of the art equipment to contribute to new areas of basic and applied research.
The employee will leverage their data science capabilities to participate in studies relating to offshore research that focus on developing tools and managing data that provide critical insights into understanding subsurface hazards, risk assessment, and informing infrastructure integrity. This work will involve a multidisciplinary team participation alongside other data scientists, engineers, geologists and computer scientists to support the priorities of the DOE Fossil Energy and Carbon Management mission space.
TERM OF COMMITMENT: This research position is intended to be a term position, with varying levels of commitment that are not expected to last longer than 2 years. You will be informed prior to applying what length of commitment is anticipated. Also, those who successfully fill a term position, may be invited to apply for an additional term. Nothing in this paragraph is intended to create an employment contract. Employment will remain at will.
If this sounds like the kind of environment where you can thrive, keep reading!
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Applying artificial intelligence/machine learning methods to analyze geological and geophysical data.
- Building and modifying software tools using Python, creating stand-alone scripts, writing new applications.
- Collaborating with geologists and other science researchers to assist in accomplishing project-related tasks.
- Building relationships with internal and external clients.
- Creating and delivering oral and poster presentations of results.
- Master’s degree or currently enrolled in a master’s program leading to a degree in data science, computer science, math, geography, geo-statistics, geospatial science, environmental science, petroleum engineering or similar field with less than 2 years of prior relevant experience.
- Robust coding experience including Python and familiarity with tensor flow.
- Demonstrable skills in the application of various machine learning methods.
- Willingness and interest in learning geological information related to data (i.e. offshore subsurface topics and spatial data).
- Familiarity with software development, UI/data libraries, source code repositories, and ArcGIS
- Familiarity with geologic systems and geohazards
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $13.7 billion for the fiscal year ended December 31, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.