The Defense Group at Leidos currently has an opening for a senior engineer for work regarding the protection of military systems from electromagnetic pulse (EMP) environments generated by nuclear-weapon detonations. Leidos’ customer is the Defense Threat Reduction Agency (DTRA), located at Fort Belvoir, VA. The position is part time. Applicant may telework remotely.
Overall task: Provide technical assistance regarding the protection of military systems against EMP environments. Major focus areas: 1) Technical advice to DTRA in creating new DoD military standards and associated military handbooks regarding EMP-protection requirements, or revising such requirements in existing military standardization documentation; 2) Writing edits to these military standards and handbooks based on DTRA’s decisions; 3) Observing field tests of EMP-protection systems and providing technical comments and reports of these observations; 4) Participating in DTRA’s technical working groups regarding other EMP-related testing; technology development for advancing EMP hardness and hardness-testing; and EMP modeling-and-simulation (M&S) topics; 5) providing training to newer members of the EMP technical community.
- Brief DTRA’s technical working groups, including personnel from DoD Services and Agencies, regarding EMP (and other electromagnetic) environments and protection approaches.
- Review/edit documentation pertinent to DTRA’s military standard development and updates.
- Travel to meetings or EMP test activities in the Washington DC region.
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in an engineering or scientific discipline pertinent to electromagnetism and/or electrical systems
- Possess knowledge regarding the substantiation and implementation of EMP-protection requirements per the following military standards: MIL-STD-2169, MIL-STD-188-125-1/-2, MIL-STD-3023, and MIL-STD-4023, and military handbook MIL-HDBK-423.
- 20+ years of experience regarding the protection of military systems from electromagnetic environments, with 10+ years of experience specific to electromagnetic pulse (EMP) environments.
- 15+ years of experience providing EMP technical assistance to senior DoD civilian, military, and contractor personnel
- 10+ years of experience regarding developing or updating DoD military standardization documents
- Must be a U.S Citizen (no dual citizenship)
- Must be eligible to have, or promptly obtain, a Top Secret clearance.
- Experience in vulnerability studies for military systems from EMP environments, and potential means to protect such systems from these environments.
- Experience in the general design, development, and operation of EMP test simulator systems.
- Experience in observing EMP-protection tests of military systems and reporting observations.
- Eligible to have, or promptly obtain, an SCI clearance.
Effective October 1, in order to enter Leidos facilities in the US and to attend Leidos business events outside our facilities, employees will be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. Effective December 8, all Leidos employees must be fully vaccinated (2 weeks past final dose) unless they are entitled to a legal accommodation. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.