We are seeking a PostgreSQL Database Engineer within our multi-database engineering team with strong Python skills.
Primary skills needed include:
- At least 2 years of experience using Python with Postgres.
- Supporting the community edition PostgreSQL databases throughout the development and production lifecycles in an AWS environment.
- Design, build, configure, test, update, document, implement, operational support, and upgrade for PostgreSQL server databases in multiple infrastructure environments including, but not limited to, Dev, Val, Prod, Sandbox, DR, and cloud environments.
- Troubleshooting and resolving database integrity issues, performance issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, replication issues, log shipping issues, connectivity issues, security issues.
- Performance tuning, query optimization, using monitoring and troubleshooting tools.
Day to Day Responsibilities:
- Provide database solution reviews, advice, and solution adjustments for application database requirements.
- Provide guidance in the creation and modification of standards and procedures.
- Participate in technical reviews and walkthroughs of system design documentation with development and design team members.
- Collaborate with development, architecture, and release teams, providing architectural design recommendations, driving standards for effective PostgreSQL transition to production operations.
- Create, test, and implement scripting for automation support.
- Troubleshoot and resolve database integrity issues, blocking and deadlocking issues, indexing issues, replication issues, log shipping issues, connectivity issues, security issues, etc.
- Conduct performance tuning, performance monitoring, capacity planning, and other related monitoring and troubleshooting tasks.
- Setup alerting mechanism and monitor for both database and supporting hardware to ensure system health and maximum availability.
- Identify and resolve incidents and address to user problems/concerns.
- Assess, evaluate and provide resolution for database performance problems
- Document procedures for build, test, update, and upgrading database environments.
- Provide backup and recovery functions for PostgreSQL environments.
- Create, document, and test backup and recovery procedures including Operational and Disaster Recovery scenarios
- Support the standing standards, policies and procedures of the customer team.
- May be scheduled for after hours on-call support and will be required to apply production packages during non-peak hours.
- Create users, establish database security, create resource queue, performance tuning in terms of query execution etc.
- Perform capacity monitoring and short and long-term capacity planning in collaboration with development resources, system administrators and system architects.
- Generate reports of all processes and jobs currently running on PostgreSQL with details like users, start and end time, CPU Usage and time, Memory usage, IO Time, locking etc.
- Accept other duties as directed by management.
- Knowledge of automated methods and best practices for installation and configuration of PostgreSQL and other SQL product tools
- Knowledge of the PostgreSQL architecture
- Knowledge of how indexes, index management, integrity checks, configuration, patching, how statistics work, how indexes are stored, how they can be created and managed effectively.
- Implementing operational automation.
- Documentation skills for creating processes and procedures
- PostgreSQL database operational support skills for educating application development and testing users
- Database performance factors, monitoring tools and tuning procedures
- Database Management skills, including backup and recovery procedures
- Skills in productivity factors and ability to understand impact of problem on overall database performance
- Knowledge of fault detection and resolution processes
- Skills in maintenance tools and procedures
- Additional experience with alternative database products such as NoSQL, Oracle, MongoDB, GreenPlum.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
BS degree and 8 – 12 years of prior relevant experience or Masters with 6 – 10 years of prior relevant experience. May possess a Doctorate in technical domain.
Effective October 1, in order to enter Leidos facilities in the US and to attend Leidos business events outside our facilities, employees will be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. Effective December 8, all Leidos employees must be fully vaccinated (2 weeks past final dose) unless they are entitled to a legal accommodation. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.