The Leidos Innovations Center has an immediate opening for an Electro-Mechanical Engineer to work in our Rancho Bernardo office in San Diego, CA. This is an exciting opportunity to leverage your experience to develop and produce advanced sensors in nuclear detection, radiography equipment, chemical and biological sensing instruments and satellite sensor systems. Emphasis is on research and development with activities ranging from support of early scientific research to transitioning products to production.
- Develop and test designs for Chemical, Biological, Radiation, Nuclear, and Space sensor systems, products, and devices.
- Support engineering design, development, and test electro-mechanical systems, motion control, process control, and device development for advanced Sensors and Sensor Systems.
- Execute test plans, determine root cause of test failures, and iterate with senior staff to determine design changes to improve performance.
- Collaborate in scientific research, engineering product development, and test activities. Contribute to design reviews and present designs for review.
- Work independently and use judgement to perform engineering task with uncertain and evolving requirements.
- Use judgment to perform technical troubleshooting and diagnosis of failed equipment and support root cause analysis.
- Perform data analysis and write technical reports.
- B.S. Degree in Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related field with 4-8 years of relevant experience or MS with 2-6 years of relevant experience as an electrical engineer in an R&D environment.
- Well-organized, reliable, attention to detail, demonstrated personal initiative. Ability to multi-task and prioritize workload. Good interpersonal skills and ability to coordinate work with others. Good oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working with cross-functional R&D development teams.
- Motivated self-starter able to work under minimal supervision and an entrepreneurial approach to roles and responsibilities.
- Experience designing and developing high power motion systems and defining associated electrical requirements.
- Software/hardware interfacing experience with electro-mechanical systems including communication interfaces, power requirements, and mechanical interfaces of control components.
- 0-15% travel to customer sites as required to meet program and testing milestones.
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret Security Clearance.
- Active security clearance at the Secret level or higher is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership of small technical teams and projects.
- Experience reviewing and documenting technical data packages for military products.
- Strong understanding of electro-mechanical systems, control systems, or system engineering and a well-rounded electrical engineering background to tackle a variety of tasks as they come up in the development cycle.
- Experience with 1HP - 10HP class of electrical motors and motion systems is a plus.
- Control theory experience is a plus.
- Electro-Optical or low noise analog amplifier design is a plus.
Effective October 1, in order to enter Leidos facilities in the US and to attend Leidos business events outside our facilities, employees will be required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. Effective December 8, all Leidos employees must be fully vaccinated (2 weeks past final dose) unless they are entitled to a legal accommodation. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.