Leidos is looking for a candidate to take on a growth opportunity to become a Release Train Engineer on a high performing agile team using the Scaled Agile Framework (SAFe) methodology to support a nationally significant and fast-paced cryptographic key management program. The ideal candidate has prior experience leading agile teams and wishes to grow into the next leadership role as a Release Train Engineer. Program execution follows DEVOPS best practices and employs robust development, test and production environments. We are using Test Driven Development (TDD) and test automation tools alongside a full suite of team collaboration tools. Leidos is the prime contractor providing system engineering, development, test, integration and operational support. This new 5 year program is focused on injecting new technology and adding advanced capabilities while continuing to support an on-going mission and operational system.
This role requires an experienced Agile Leader to take on Release Train Engineer responsibilities for an Agile Release Train (ART) executing on a program implementing Large Scale SAFe. This role will be supported by experienced SAFe Leaders on program while receiving formal training and development as an RTE. The RTE will report to a Solution Train Engineer (STE) in the Large Scale SAFe structure. The major responsibilities are to facilitate the ART events and processes that assist the team in delivering value. The RTE also serves as a project engineer/project manager over the ART and focus on ensuring the ART’s Feature commitments are met. This includes working with the teams to determine if teams will complete the Features, understand why something might not complete and help mitigate issues preventing Features from completing. Finally, this role facilitates horizontal and vertical communication across teams to identify any impediments that may prevent team progress while working mitigation plans as needed.
- Manage and optimize the flow of value through an Agile Release Train (ART)
- Managing schedule execution and planning the software / architecture releases for the program
- Facilitate Program Increment (PI) Planning readiness by fostering a Continuous Exploration process which drives the synthesis of a Vision, a Roadmap, and Backlogs, and through Pre- and Post-PI Planning meetings
- Facilitate Program Increment (PI) Planning, including logistics and technical preparation
- Facilitating cross-team collaboration within program via Scrum of Scrums meeting and other less formal forums in support development, testing, and deployment efforts
- Summarize Team PI Objectives into Program PI Objectives and publish them for visibility and transparency
- Assist tracking the execution of features and capabilities through Metrics across program’s agile and DevOps teams
- Briefing customer on development progress throughout PI cycle and on the status of testing, deployment, and release readiness
- Work closely with the STE and operations team to coordinate release trains, assess the impact to other DevOps processes, and schedule release timelines for those fixes
- Acquire in-depth understanding of the large complex software system, and assess risk and understand varied customer needs
- Assessing skillset needs and collaborating with leadership to staff program openings
- Coaching teams, Scrum Masters, Product Owners, and Project/Program Leaders in agile practices
- Promote teamwork to achieve PI goals
- Lead the teams towards agile maturity
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced environment, across diverse systems and groups
- Assist with economic decision-making by facilitating feature and capability estimation by teams and the roll-up to Epics, where necessary Coach leaders, teams, and Scrum Masters in Lean-Agile practices and mindsets
- Escalate and track impediments
- Provide input on resourcing to address critical bottlenecks
- Work with the contractor Program Management Office (PMO) on program execution
- Understand and operate within budgets provided by the CAM/TTOM and ensure adherence to Guardrails
- Drive relentless improvement via Inspect and Adapt workshops; assess the agility level of the ART and help them improve
- Foster Communities of Practice and the use of engineering and Built-In Quality practices
- Four (4) years experience working with large software systems including hardware integration and test
- Bachelor’s degree in System Engineering, Computer Science, Information Systems, Engineering Science, Engineering Management, or related discipline from an accredited college or university is required
- 2+ years of experience supervising or leading teams or projects
- Ability to understand technical concepts and communicate them effectively to both technical and non-technical audiences
- Experience working with an Agile software development team, managing project deadlines (ideally in a Scrum Master, Product Owner, or Development Lead role)
- Experience with briefing leadership and/or customers of key status of project progression
- Experience communicating with and briefing status to external stakeholders, including customer/government representatives
- Certified Scrum Master (CSM), SAFe Scrum Master (SSM) or similar agile project management certification (PMI-ACP)
- Experience using agile project management tools (e.g. Jira, VersionOne, Rally, IBM ELM)
- Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Manages time extremely well, can quickly sense when an issue needs to be discussed or triaged
- Strong attention to detail and focus on task completion is critical
- Must have an active TS/SCI with Polygraph to be considered for this role.
- Significant technology experience in software development, test, or systems engineering such that a candidate could qualify on the program as a participant engineer as either a developer, tester, or systems engineer
- Previous Release, Project, or Program Management experience
- Experience-affecting change in organizations working towards agile adoption
- Experience working with multi-disciplinary development teams
- Experience using SAFe as the agile development methodology including experience participating in a Program Increment Planning session
- A Scaled Agile certification such as SAFe Agilist (SA), SAFe RTE, or others
- Experience in any part of the software development lifecycle - as the developer, tester, analyst, product manager, project/program manager, etc.
- Experience with applying test automation, test-driven development, continuous integration, and continuous deployment to achieve built-in quality by the team
In order to enter Leidos facilities in the U.S. and to attend Leidos events outside our facilities, employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or maintain proof of a negative COVID-19 test within 96 hours of entry. In addition, we are receiving guidance from certain customers that onsite contractor personnel will need to be fully vaccinated to access customer facilities. If you are not vaccinated, please consider getting your COVID-19 vaccination as soon as possible. If you have any questions, please contact your Talent Acquisition POC.
Leidos is a Fortune 500® information technology, engineering, and science solutions and services leader working to solve the world’s toughest challenges in the defense, intelligence, civil, and health markets. The company’s 43,000 employees support vital missions for government and commercial customers. Headquartered in Reston, Virginia, Leidos reported annual revenues of approximately $12.30 billion for the fiscal year ended January 1, 2021. For more information, visit www.Leidos.com.
Pay and Benefits
Pay and benefits are fundamental to any career decision. That's why we craft compensation packages that reflect the importance of the work we do for our customers. Employment benefits include competitive compensation, Health and Wellness programs, Income Protection, Paid Leave and Retirement. More details are available here.
Securing Your Data
Leidos will never ask you to provide payment-related information at any part of the employment application process. And Leidos will communicate with you only through emails that are sent from a Leidos.com email address. If you receive an email purporting to be from Leidos that asks for payment-related information or any other personal information, please report the email to [email protected].
Commitment to Diversity
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, ethnicity, age, national origin, citizenship, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information, pregnancy, family structure, marital status, ancestry, domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran or military status, or any other basis prohibited by law. Leidos will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with relevant laws.